• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drive Shaft

coronet1965

Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm in the home stretch with my coronet project and am having problems with the drive shaft. So I converted the car to a 4 speed and all parts came from a 65 Satellite. Now here comes the problem the trans has that weird cup with the studs on the output side and the drive shaft that came with the trans has a strange set up on it to, well come to find out that the drive shaft is to far gone to save and the drive shaft shop that I took it to said they could make a custom one for 375 bucks does this sound right? Did anyone else have this problem? How did you get around it? Ill post some pics tonight. Thanks for any help.

Is that the installed price with yoke and big u-joints??Or over the counter:read:

Where's SUPERSHAFTS when we need him:naka:

Not to sure he was very general about it, said he's had people with mopars come in before with this drive shaft.

What he has is the ball n trunion driveshaft and trans with the matching ends.
for $375.00 is a good pricebut you have to remember they cant take much power before you snap the studs right off. They were used back with 62-64 cars and i believe early 65.
you might want to convert your trans, to a slip yoke style and get a new driveshaft made.
Been down that road before.

Last edited by a moderator:
What he has is the ball n trunion driveshaft and trans with the matching ends.
for $375.00 is a good pricebut you have to remember they cant take much power before you snap the studs right off. They were used back with 62-64 cars and i believe early 65.
you might want to convert your trans, to a slip yoke style and get a new driveshaft made.
Been down that road before.

Come on Chris,you know all the Max Wedge and 64 Race Hemi used the ball and trunion.:poke:

Hi guys I'm in the home stretch with my coronet project and am having problems with the drive shaft. So I converted the car to a 4 speed and all parts came from a 65 Satellite. Now here comes the problem the trans has that weird cup with the studs on the output side and the drive shaft that came with the trans has a strange set up on it to, well come to find out that the drive shaft is to far gone to save and the drive shaft shop that I took it to said they could make a custom one for 375 bucks does this sound right? Did anyone else have this problem? How did you get around it? Ill post some pics tonight. Thanks for any help.

The shop can simply remove the detroit ball end and install a stub, slip, 1310 series joint and the flange yoke that fits that pilot diameter.

Or you can abandon all that and update the trans

The determinating factor here is what your budget is and how much power do you have now,and what you think the future HP will be.

When I first got my '65 Coronet, I did the usual maintenance items; brakes, tie rod ends, ball joints, and decided to do the u joints also. There was an old auto parts in town, and on a hunch, I asked if they had a ball and trunnion rebuild kit for the Dodge. Yep, covered in dust, she went right to it. Actually looked up the price in an old book and I walked out for about $10.00. I had a local driveshaft shop install it, a new 7260 rear joint, and a new boot.
Never was very happy with the performance of the 273/904 so I swapped in a big block and a 1965 727 with a slip yoke. I believe that the ball and trunnion driveshaft is still in the rafters of the garage gathering dust. My point is that the ball and trunnion setup is still available and they were used in high performance applications through 1965.

When I first got my '65 Coronet, I did the usual maintenance items; brakes, tie rod ends, ball joints, and decided to do the u joints also. There was an old auto parts in town, and on a hunch, I asked if they had a ball and trunnion rebuild kit for the Dodge. Yep, covered in dust, she went right to it. Actually looked up the price in an old book and I walked out for about $10.00. I had a local driveshaft shop install it, a new 7260 rear joint, and a new boot.
Never was very happy with the performance of the 273/904 so I swapped in a big block and a 1965 727 with a slip yoke. I believe that the ball and trunnion driveshaft is still in the rafters of the garage gathering dust. My point is that the ball and trunnion setup is still available and they were used in high performance applications through 1965.

And there were two different sizes.

Auto Transport Service
Back