• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

u joint question - 72 satty

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
ok guys, my mind has gone blank..

i to replace the drive shaft on my 72 satty, right now i have the small u-joint up, and a " bastard" u joint in the rear. i want to put the bigger u joints from and rear.

what do i need to tell shop that will build it , i know i need a new tail shaft for trans , but my mind will not come up with what the u-joint couplers on the end of the driveshaft are called or part #

god I hate getting older ! memory recall is getting harder

Bring the shaft to them. They will know. Large joint is the 7290. You most likely have a crossover joint on the rear 7260/7290.

correct, thank you, my mind just went away !

You will also need a new 7290 slip yoke for the trans, Dr Diff carries them.

Buy the slip yoke from dr Diff, the driveline shop will just charge you more for one.

Yes 7290 is the common big joint with retaining clips on the inside.

The driveshaft shop can get ALL of it for you. Probably want to just replace all of it. My shop didn't want to mess with mine when I did this.

If you want to try and upgrade to a stout aluminum shaft, try Denny's Driveshafts. They are an awesome upgrade and will build a driveshaft off your exact specs.

Auto Transport Service
Back