• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driveshaft help

440 Charger

Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
So now taking a 2 piece from a ford and want to make it work on the Charger.

Why would you want to do such a thing?

Whats the difference where the shaft comes from? If it works the way its supposed to .......Not building 1of1 cars here , building hotrods

Ok, so what structure are you planning to use to mount the carrier bearing? Just going to bolt it to the sheet metal floor pan?

Driveshafts are cheap and easy to get.

you will only need half of it
Yes just doing the back half and the slipspline yoke from the front half all 1410 joints looks like just have to shorten it a bit and get it balanced. Kinda a fun project for me to play with.

Ok, so what structure are you planning to use to mount the carrier bearing? Just going to bolt it to the sheet metal floor pan?
Hell no that would be junk was thinking more quarter inch plate already reinforced the sub frame across have to get the driveshaft close to see where the support bearing is located. Was already planning on a driveshaft loop and after getting this driveshaft it looks it may work really well. Why not kill 2 birds with one stone. This is what I love and hate about this site so many seem opposed to thinking outside of the box. Like one reply above is why well the why is I have a bolt on yoke motorhome 727 that is way stronger than the hemi 727. There is almost nothing that cant be improved if someone thinks stock is the best learn more lol. Still a big upgrade today is a slip yoke eliminator for most any off road vehicle well have that and looking at torque of a turbo diesel pulling 10 tons I think this shaft will hold up better than the stock mopars. Remember this is fun to me not saying its the perfect way or if it will work for sure. But after racing 11 years with 440 mopars I am trying to fix the things never liked. Broke lots of front u joints and really liked a loop so a loop with a bearing and you have it in hand seems a no brainer to play with.

Why would you want to do such a thing?
Because its so nice doing things yourself not take this to this shop and this to the other shop then bolt it in. And it is fun proving ppl wrong in a way. If you asked me have you ever made a driveshaft I would tell you no if you asked can you that's a yes. This was just a thought before but now this driveshaft will go in this car and I will be the first one to say if it does not work my gut says it will be amazing and very tough.

Well lets see how it works need to do some new joints but this may just bolt in.

Auto Transport Service
Back