• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving in winter with dry roads?

Couple years ago was invited by my body shop to put my car in the WOW Milwaukee – in February. I had to leave the car running for a long time as the show required no more than a ¼ full fuel level. Shop flat-bedded it for me and left it running the whole way as I followed them on the freeway into the city. Can’t rely on ‘dry’ roads as puddles are around. Truck drove through a couple of those. As I was driving my car into the show, the car video guy asked if he could do a video. Got the car parked and could not believe the amount of road splat on it. Took me a half hour to get it off, thankfully a guy next to me had a bunch of cleaning supplies and micro towels he loaned me. Car cover would have been nice.

It was COLD and windy getting it back home and the driveway had iced up some, had some thrill backing it back into the garage with a sure-grip rear on the ice. Ever do it again, I'd put the car cover on.
Flat bed, and I have a car cover
View attachment 1566182

You Southern people have no idea how nice you have it!
Many of us 'southern nors....' came from the north lol. I live near the Gulf Coast so used to spend a lot of time in Galveston and driving on the beach. The car always got a good bath once home and I'm talking about taking the driveway ramps to the car wash and putting the car up on them so I could get the underside really good.

There is no snow on the ground, but I have seen areas where they have salted the roads in case of ice. I need to take my b-body to the shop for an upgrade on the car.

They did say they can trailer it, it's not a big deal... (for a cost) However a friend of mine thinks I'm being too picky, and I should just drive the thing.

It's like a 50-minute trip to the shop.

Just curious as to what other would do. It's a driver but was repainted a few years ago with no rust on the body.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Chances are, because of the salty winter, you won't be driving your car much at all for a few months, so why not wait until spring and it's safe out there before taking your car in for the upgrade?

It's slow season, and the only time they can get me in. Last job I had them do I was on a 6 month waiting list. It's a custom performance shop that specializes in Mopar. They do everything thing though. I've seen some amazing cars over there. Mine is crap in comparison. Last time I was there a guy traded a new Corvette for a Superbird. Crazy stuff. The Superbird is worth more.

You know they don’t have to salt roads. Theres a few northern states that don’t, South Dakota pops into my head. I wish they would stop salting, I maybe more persuaded to move back there. I hate rusty vehicles.

You know they don’t have to salt roads. Theres a few northern states that don’t, South Dakota pops into my head. I wish they would stop salting, I maybe more persuaded to move back there. I hate rusty vehicles.
The injury work comp claims and lawsuits the company I was with were friggin crazy. Included the snow plowing contractors we insured getting sued. Geezuz, people wearing summer footwear in January like it was June, high-heels, dress shoes, taking shortcuts walking through unplowed areas to get into the building in the morning, rather than taking the routes cleared until those areas could be cleared later.

Damn hey, the idiotic stories! Schools were typically top of the list: Teachers mostly, not students. It was below freezing, not wearing a winter coat, carrying laptops and other chit, in heels, and it was so cold outside I was rushing to get inside falling on the walk or parking lot – breaking bones and worse, a few skull fractures leading to half-million-dollar claims. A few were much worse, causing permanent brain damage.

Yeah, then sue the plowing service cuz they didn’t get to ALL the plowing and salting yet on a heavy snowfall day. As would be advised, ya SEE the areas cleared? Use them until the other walks could be cleared. Same crap with apartment dwellers, retail stores, and employers. WTF! You got kids? You let them go to school in January dressed like its June? Dress for the weather and EXPECT some slippery pavement when it's 10-degrees.

There’s a salt reduction announcement in the city near me starting this winter. This should be interesting as people want to drive in January like its June.

If 6 months is the case, reschedule. My cars don't go out in the salt dust, because of humidity. Humidity will activate the dust.
How long are they going to have it? Just wait.

salt is not your friend. that said it’s your call , it will get salt on the underside, is that acceptable to you ?

Move to Australia. The only salt here is in my swimming pool.
main.jpg

The dry dusty salt is actually the worst kind to travel in. Dusty salt gets in places you will have a hard time getting clean then it sets and waits for humidity then we all know what happens next. My toy storage starts with the first salt truck of the season and ends with a decent rain. I would wait till spring or use enclosed trailer. jmo

A city near me tried using sand instead of salt for a year. Needless to say, sand cleanup in spring was awful and they went back to salt the following year.

Move to Australia. The only salt here is in my swimming pool
Wow, looks like paradise! On the other hand, what I’ve heard about your reptiles and insects you have there is my cause for pause. I don’t like spiders and snakes..

Australia, the only place in the world even the grass can kill you. :eek:

There is a body parts place in northern WI I had been unaware of when hunting for a box for my Dakota. Was a long search, months. I found a guy at the Iola car show asking if he had any. He said he has two at his shop! He goes to Montana and around there picking up parts and bringing them back. Was like a kid in a candy store looking at what he had for old Dodge trucks in pristine condition. And the two Dak boxes he had – it was tough to figure out which one was nicer. Fantastic price too.

Iola is awesome! Saw the Vice Grip Garage guy there this year. Mostly GM stuff, but still fun to walk around. It's huge!

When I bought my Fury the owner told me open carrier was the way to go. Boy was I young and stupid back then. I agreed and got a nasty suprise when the car arrived. I have used rust converter and pressure wash, but it is a mistake I am always paying for. Trailer it.

Auto Transport Service
Back