• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving in winter with dry roads?

Myasylum

Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
There is no snow on the ground, but I have seen areas where they have salted the roads in case of ice. I need to take my b-body to the shop for an upgrade on the car.

They did say they can trailer it, it's not a big deal... (for a cost) However a friend of mine thinks I'm being too picky, and I should just drive the thing.

It's like a 50-minute trip to the shop.

Just curious as to what other would do. It's a driver but was repainted a few years ago with no rust on the body.

Opinions?

Thanks!

I don't think the dried salt is nearly as bad as splashing through a brine bath which gets into places you can never remove it from.
Usually if you get a couple dry days the roads develop a path where the tires go as the traffic disperses the residue on the road.

Ideally you would wait until after a rain on totally clear ashpalt but it's getting late in the year to get rain and not snow in your area.

Heres' the Big question:

What about the trip back?

Maybe wait til spring.

The big salt chunks chip paint. The salt "dust" blows in everywhere.

If money isn't a worry why worry trailer it. Mine came close to salt once since I owned it. Was ready to move it to storage and had a surprise 2" storm but that was before pre-sand and salt.

Yea, I might trailer it. Even that, your risking salt dust flying everywhere.

You Southern people have no idea how nice you have it!

If you get lucky and have a rain storm and move your car as soon as it dries?

Yes, I see now we are supposed to have rain/snow over the weekend. Grr... It could really go either way, and they could still salt to prevent ice buildup on bridges.

It was a tough pill to swallow trailering the Duster home from Michigan to NY a few years back.
Roads were dry but salt was down.
The salt dust got on it and under it driving home.
When I got it home I masked off all areas I wanted to keep water out of and then rinsed everything down good.
I don't like the cars getting wet, let alone being exposed to salt.
But trailering it was still preferred over the risk of it getting abused or banged up by a shipping company transporting it.

IMG_4666.jpeg

IMG_3773_Original.jpeg

IMG_3774_Original.jpeg

IMG_3775_Original.jpeg

IMG_3776_Original.jpeg

Huh? Interesting! Pretty much the same situation here, expect it's only a 50-minute drive for me. Suppose to be doing this on Monday.

From what I gather, it's not water that is bad, and not necessarily the salt itself. It's the chemical reaction with the water and salt combined.

Maybe just the salt dust itself isn't so horrible but should be washed out thoroughly as soon as possible.

There is no snow on the ground, but I have seen areas where they have salted the roads in case of ice. I need to take my b-body to the shop for an upgrade on the car.

They did say they can trailer it, it's not a big deal... (for a cost) However a friend of mine thinks I'm being too picky, and I should just drive the thing.

It's like a 50-minute trip to the shop.

Just curious as to what other would do. It's a driver but was repainted a few years ago with no rust on the body.

Opinions?

Thanks!
Trailer it. As soon as the city salts the streets, my cars go into storage. THey come back out tin the spring after a couple good soaking rains.

Hopefully by “trailering“ you mean using an enclosed trailer. An open car hauler could be even worse than just driving it on salty roads.

Hopefully by “trailering“ you mean using an enclosed trailer. An open car hauler could be even worse than just driving it on salty roads.
Absolutely! Covered in all the mist from the pull vehicle. Drive it and don't tailgate anyone... or put it in an enclosed.

I'm not even sure what they are going to use? I just called them though. They are picking it up. for $150.00 Not real happy about paying them more, but??

I think it's a flatbed though.

They salt the roads like crazy now in alberta all winter and when they clean all the roads in spring from the sand and salt they used i always wait for one massive rainfall after that before I start driving my cars.

That is pretty much the rule of thumb up here in WI too. after one good rainfall. Some wait for a couple good rainfalls.

I'm not even sure what they are going to use? I just called them though. They are picking it up. for $150.00 Not real happy about paying them more, but??

I think it's a flatbed though.
I agree with Wayne. If they don't use a covered in trailer and you have no choice drive it. Think about all the residue coming off of the tow vehicle. Go early before traffic starts if you decide to drive.

Auto Transport Service
Back