• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving with a broken enginemount

Basoline

Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

It seems that my left enginemount is broken. I've ordered a new set (Schumacher) but these won't be here the next 4 weeks.

My question: the weather is do damn beautifull to let the car in the garage...can i drive with this enginemount still in place? I can't go full throttle because the engine is new.

Please advice.

Thanks!

leave it - or just go down to your local napa or whoever and swap the mount with a new one while you drive around for 4 weeks... then swap in the schummy

Well...since i'm in europe...there's no local NAPA to go to...we only have those tiny, cute little 4 cilinder engines overhere.

So there's no immediate danger?...i'm very cautious...

I'd check the clearances on your fan/radiator/shroud before considering it.

run a few links ot 1/2 in chain. frame motor mount bolt thru one end and one thru the block motor mount hole.3or 4 links to restrain motor from lifting from k frame. or use a turn buckle k frame to block mounting point

I had one broke in the RR for over two years. Could never figure out what some peculier noise was every now and then when I romped on it. It didn't do it every time (or at least I couldn't here it from all of the exhaust noise).
Last summer, the NSRA was doing free safety inspections at a local car show. One of the tests was to check the emergency brake would hold if the car was in drive and give it a little throttle. This caused the engine to torque, the fan hit the radiator shroud which explains the strange noise. The inspector asked me if I knew I had an engine mount broke. Drove it for a couple more months before I changed them to the Schumacher Poly Locs.
Might want to get a new tranny mount while your at it. Mine was trashed from all of the twisting it shouldn't have been subjected to.
I always wondered how I got a dent in the passenger side header. It was banging into the inner fender. I can't believe the air grabber didn't get destroyed in the whole process. The fan and shroud has minimal damage.
In my opinion, I would guess you will be fine as long as you don't torque it too hard. No hole shots...just cruising. Good luck and have fun.

Dave

Do Not Drive It Untill it is either chained down or new mounts, With the left hand mount broken, you run the risk of the engine torquing up a little and pulling the throttle open a little more, thus more torquing, and more throttle,untill its wide open throttle. Trust me, it happens VERY fast.
Very dangerous situation.
If you have to drive it now, make sure you chain or turnbuckle the left side down as mentioned above by Daredevil

I have mine chained down also. The big blocks are torque monsters to begin with, Add a sticky tire and a gear and something has to give. The other side to this is to go with solid mounts. They are not good for the street, To much vibration. I would at least chain it down for now because if you have to nail it to get out of somebodies way there will be some damage.

Well, since the engine is new and has to be "run in" (don't know the english expression), I have to take it easy in the first place so...I'll be just cruisin'. Also, it isn't a dragstrip torque monster or high performance race engine, it's "just" a mild 383 with a slighlty hotter cam then stock.

Ofcourse I know the dangers and ofcourse I know the consequences, but man...the weather...and keeping the car garaged ANOTHER 4 weeks is just killing me...

shouldnt be a problem then i,d personally take the stud out of the air cleaner and find the right length 1/4 in. bolt. insurance against a ding in the hood

About 25 yrs ago my buddy had a 70 Cuda and was complaining about the engine cutting out when he romped on it. He tried plugs, points, checking for vacuum leaks, carbs, etc... Finally he figured it out by trying to duplicate the problem with he hood open and doing a torque stand. The engine was torquing over so much that the + post of the alternator was shorting against the shock tower and killing the engine at that moment. Naturally it started again as soon as the short went away and acted like a closed loop oscillation kind of like a light bulb in front of a photo cell - rapid on/off blinking. The engine would just hop up and down. Hilarious!!!

Definitely chain it down until you get a mount!!! Even if you don't romp on it, it will move if you have to start up a big hill.

Auto Transport Service
Back