• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drum brake install questions

Seriously though, if anyone knows where to get that finned 10" drum . . . And how to swap it onto the wheel hub . . .
Punch in Swedge , in the search bar. Many posts on taking them apart.
Try Craig at @mobileparts for the drums maybe

I wouldn't get hung up on finned drums. Extra heat dissipation isn't needed.

Heat dissipation is the main problem with drums though. People were cutting cooling holes in the backing plate and making air ducts to get cool air into the drums. From what I've read, the cooling fins solved most of the heat dissipation problems and put drums at the same level as discs, without the need for cooling holes and brake ducts.

Besides that, they're hella cool looking. Those finned drums looked so good behind my slotted mags that I almost wouldn't want discs.

But if finned drums are impossible to get, or not cost effective, than I'll live with regular drums for a while.

About this washer that comes with the wheel cylinders -

washer_wheel_cylinder.JPG

I guess it must go on the end of the brake line -

brake_line.JPG

-although it seems like it would come with the brake line? Either way, I've managed to lose my washers (or I put them in a place that made perfect sense a couple years ago), can these be found at O'reilly's? What are they called?

Should there be one on the other end of the brake line?

brakes_wheel_cylinder_link_aftermarket_replacement.JPG

brakes_wheel_cylinder_link_factory.JPG

Are there any issues with the aftermarket style wheel cylinder links? They don't have the groove that holds them in the dust boot, but I'm sure they're not going anywhere with the shoes pressing them inward.

Another question - are there any special rules for painting the backing plate? I treated mine with Rustoleum Rust Reformer and painted with Rustoleum. Now that I've done it I wonder if I will have heat issues with those products.

I just went through this on my 71 charger. Bought a spring kit for 11" drums and put it together.

What's wrong wire brushing on a grinder the old ones, nothing. Painting BP's no problem.

The rust comes back, but if painting with rust reformer is no problem I can do that. But I can only turn up 5 of the original links. I may have tossed 3 because they were rusted worse than this. Or they could be hiding in the garage somewhere.

My hardware kit has two sets of these retaining pins for the shoes -

brakes_007_shoe_retaining_pins.JPG

There's not much difference in length, but I'm guessing the longer ones are for 11" brakes? I'll go ahead and put the short ones in. It's not hard to change this out if the short ones are wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back