• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drum brake job beating the hell out of me.

I don't know what you did to get them back together, but what I notice in your pictures is a bad angle on your wheel cylinder "arms".

I don't know what you did to get them back together, but what I notice in your pictures is a bad angle on your wheel cylinder "arms".
I cracked the bleeder screws to allow the air out, with the drums on. Then pushed the pedal and held it to check for leaks. I pulled both drums off, and the pushrods settled better.

I have to get one of those one way check valve bleeders from Autozone tomorrow. I did read they have bleeder screws with the check valves in them. That’s a great idea! Tough to see here but there isn’t any room to get a wrench on the screws. Only a socket. And it’s 9/32”. The only wrench I have that size is an ignition wrench. Here’s a pic. Again it look like there is plenty of room but the 9/32 socket is angled when it is on there.
CF616178-F8F3-46CE-BC93-65CD9D1C0959.jpeg

Last edited:
Always cut the drum before install to make sure they're round. If its a daily driver in heavy traffic if not turned they will heat up. You will get hot spots and to some degree even noise. Always take brakes to the next level for your safety and others. There is a reason we all having issues with parts they're not made the same anymore.

I cracked the bleeder screws to allow the air out, with the drums on. Then pushed the pedal and held it to check for leaks. I pulled both drums off, and the pushrods settled better.

I have to get one of those one way check valve bleeders from Autozone tomorrow. I did read they have bleeder screws with the check valves in them. That’s a great idea! Tough to see here but there isn’t any room to get a wrench on the screws. Only a socket. And it’s 9/32”. The only wrench I have that size is an ignition wrench. Here’s a pic. Again it look like there is plenty of room but the 9/32 socket is angled when it is on there.

I have to get one of those one way check valve bleeders from Autozone tomorrow. I did read they have bleeder screws with the check valves in them. That’s a great idea! Tough to see here but there isn’t any room to get a wrench on the screws. Only a socket. And it’s 9/32”. The only wrench I have that size is an ignition wrench. Here’s a pic. Again it look like there is plenty of room but the 9/32 socket is angled when it is on there.View attachment 1311276

And not every 9/32 socket will fit. I have had problems with later model Rams and vans (some things never change)where the zerk head is too tall for some 9/32 sockets.

Always cut the drum before install to make sure they're round. If its a daily driver in heavy traffic if not turned they will heat up. You will get hot spots and to some degree even noise. Always take brakes to the next level for your safety and others. There is a reason we all having issues with parts they're not made the same anymore.
I’m a machinist by trade. I measured them. The FSM says .005 runout is OK. They are within .002

Looks like adjusters are way to long to me. I always put the old stuff back in unless broke, dull spring works as good as those shinny pieces.

Auto Transport Service
Back