• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drum to Disc Front Brake Conversion Kit

I put a DR. Diff fornt kit on my 70 RR (power brakes) this past winter.....It stops better but the pads are VERY dusty.....leave that dark brake dust all over the front wheels....In a couple years going to convert both the front & rear to a Wilwood kit......going to replace the stock 14" wheels with aftermatket 16" wheels.
also had an issue with the spindles on the Dr. Diff kit they were recalled to had to take everything apart to put the new replacements on.
But so far seem to be working ok.

Ready to buy new front disc brake conversion kit. Looked at most of them. Anyone had great success with their kit on a 1970 B body (Roadrunner). Manual drums now.

Are you guys swapping from manual to power brakes?, I don't hear to much chat about hooking up the booster, I've read you need to install a regulator to, is this true? Does it come in the kits?, Also if your just upgrading to disc without power, how does it feel? Just curious, I'm ready to start looking for a conversion kit...

My firebird had manual front discs, wasn't too bad, better than my manual drums on my Satellite for sure. With the Dr Diff kits can you run the 15 inch black steel rims?

My firebird had manual front discs, wasn't too bad, better than my manual drums on my Satellite for sure. With the Dr Diff kits can you run the 15 inch black steel rims?

10.95" is the smallest disc Dr. Diff sells. Should fit 15's fine. You can add the option for a front disc/rear drum combination valve. It's an extra 85 bucks.

I ended up going with an SSBC kit on the front and the rear kit came from Summit. Very happy with the performance and plus the drilled and slotted rotors with the red calipers look awesome.
Installing the brake booster was a pain, mainly due to the new brake lines I had to install. But overall very happy with my new power assisted disc brakes.

IMG_0241.JPG IMG_0242.JPG IMG_0243.JPG

I ended up going with an SSBC kit on the front and the rear kit came from Summit. Very happy with the performance and plus the drilled and slotted rotors with the red calipers look awesome.
Installing the brake booster was a pain, mainly due to the new brake lines I had to install. But overall very happy with my new power assisted disc brakes.

View attachment 365217 View attachment 365218 View attachment 365219

Here is a question: What bore size is your master cylinder? or more specifically, what bore size should I run with disc brakes up front, and drums in back? They sell 1 1/32 and 1 5/16" bore size.

The bigger the bore the stiffer the pedal feel is. Having a larger bore doesn't necessarily mean more pressure so either would work for front disc and rear drum.

If you do the OEM swap from a donor car with slider calipers (like a 5th Ave), you can get modern ceramic pads.

helps with both stopping and dust.

Auto Transport Service
Back