• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual Quad Intake question

Larry Chilese

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
I have a RoadRunner 68, I'd like to put in a dual quad set up. Will an earlier 59-62 Casting #1827899 Intake manifiold fit a stock Mopar 383 hp engine with 516 heads?

It will work but unless you use the original style carbs on it you'll have to have the secondaries opened up for the newer aftermarket carbs. There were some adapter plates available. I found a 1 11/16" reamer on ebay, a used old discarded carb base for a guide and a 1/2 drill and opened mine.

You can see the set of holes on the left have the smaller secondaries. The ones on the right I have opened up.
Screenshot_20231017_152951_Gallery.jpg

You would only do it for 'looks' because the intake itself is a very poor design. A well designed high rise dual plane intake like the Edel RPM will make more power everywhere.

If you do use it, there is no need to grind anything on the manifold, as 625 AFB carbs [ Carter or Edel ] would be best on a 383 engine, & nothing needs to be 'opened up'.

This intake probably uses the 'narrow' AFB mounting pattern, but both Carter & Edel AFBs have the wide, dual pattern base so that the narrow pattern can easily be drilled.

I put together a 2 X 4 setup from a 1962 Chrysler 300 on my 426 Street Wedge in a '64 Polara, complete with repro "football" air cleaners. They were great eye candy, but nowhere near as crisp as the big single 4 barrel on the 440 in my '67 R/T.

If you do use it, there is no need to grind anything on the manifold, as 625 AFB carbs [ Carter or Edel ] would be best on a 383 engine, & nothing needs to be 'opened up'.

The secondary butterflies are larger on the aftermarket carbs. They won't fit through the openings on the older manifolds.

Appericate your suggestions and advice. Opening up a manifold presents no problem as I do machine work.
Since none of it would be stock I'm second guessing my self and now thinking Geoff 2's comment about an Edlebrock manifold and Carbs might be the smart play. All I am
looking for is the dual quad look-I'd save the old manifold and 4 bbl Carb. And I live near Speedway. thanks again

Post #7.
The secondary butterflies are NOT larger on Edel 625 AFB carbs.
Same size as Carter 625, 1 11/16"

Ideally using the stock small afb carbs would work best. As stated the factory manifold isn't very good; real torque killer on a low torque engine. The small factory carbs would help to keep air velocity up.

The small factory carbs had a weighted set of blades above the mechanical secondaries. These helped the transition from cruising to full throttle. This only allowed as much fuel/air mixture as the engine could pump. I don't think the Edelbrocks have this feature.

42[1].jpg

The small factory carbs had a weighted set of blades above the mechanical secondaries. These helped the transition from cruising to full throttle. This only allowed as much fuel/air mixture as the engine could pump. I don't think the Edelbrocks have this feature.

View attachment 1542035
Edelbrocks use the same type velocity valves. There were different weight and configurations thru the years.

Ideally using the stock small afb carbs would work best. As stated the factory manifold isn't very good; real torque killer on a low torque engine. The small factory carbs would help to keep air velocity up.

View attachment 1542035

Edelbrocks use the same type velocity valves. There were different weight and configurations thru the years.
The small factory afbs ( like a 4131) had no velocity valves in the back at all.
I would try a pair of those. They were like 525 cfm or so

Auto Transport Service
Back