• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dual quad vs single quad

Dual quads and a oval orange air cleaner
20231127_164450.jpg
20231210_160042.jpg

I did run the cast iron 2x4 383 using 2 400cfm Carters with electric chokes on both along with a progressive throttle. Did have to make my own baseplate from a Hemi 2x4 base modified to fit out of fiberglass. That intake got 2 mpg better then the best 4 barrel attempts. It also had the very best cold starts of any big blocks. You could start it with snow on the ground wait 30 seconds for the oil pressure to stabilize, then put in gear and drive. The real trick was 2 very small carbs with fast airflow.

An OEM Dual Quad manifold ever existed for the 383. The only engines that had a Dual Quad manifold were:
1) '55-'59 Various 301, 318, 350, 331, 354, and of course Chrysler 300 Letter Series 392 Hemi engines
2) '62-'64 Max Wedge engines
3) '64-'70's 426 Hemi

I am unaware of any 'Legit' OEM multi-carb setups after the Hemi with the obvious exception of the 6-Pak 340/440 engines and these can be either cast iron or aluminum depending on year. SuperBee 383's engines ONLY came in a single 4BBL version. The aftermarket: Edelbrock, Offenhauser, Wiand, and even Direct Connection/Mopar Performance might have made a Dual Quad "B" manifold, but the only aftermarket offering I know of is Edelbrock for the "RB" engine.
Incorrect.

B and RB engines both had factory cast iron dual inline quads avail. i.e. 343 h.p. 383 and 385 h.p. 413 in 1962.

Lovely example in post #3 of this thread!

Incorrect.

B and RB engines both had factory cast iron dual inline quads avail. i.e. 343 h.p. 383 and 385 h.p. 413 in 1962.

An example from long ago on this site:
Factory 383 2x4 Intake Manifold

Alpar also mentions that the 1958 Plymouth 350 B engine had a 2X4 intake option, which wasn't a surprise since the previous year 1957 Fury could be had with a 2X4 318.

Incorrect.

In my haste to make the post, I neglected to add 383 to the list of '50's engines, and while I called out Letter Series Hemis w/392, my intention was to include ALL letter series multiple carb engines. I also added a better explanation to line 3 to expand on the early 413 engines.

I did run the cast iron 2x4 383 using 2 400cfm Carters with electric chokes on both along with a progressive throttle. Did have to make my own baseplate from a Hemi 2x4 base modified to fit out of fiberglass. That intake got 2 mpg better then the best 4 barrel attempts. It also had the very best cold starts of any big blocks. You could start it with snow on the ground wait 30 seconds for the oil pressure to stabilize, then put in gear and drive. The real trick was 2 very small carbs with fast airflow.

I have 4 cars of various makes - all big engines. Two have dual 4bbl carbs and two have single 4bbl carbs. I don’t keep accurate mpg records but my impression from how often I need to put gas in them and how fast the fuel gauge falls, tells me that the dual 4 bbl cars seem to get better gas mileage, enough to be apparent. Go figure.

I have 4 cars of various makes - all big engines. Two have dual 4bbl carbs and two have single 4bbl carbs. I don’t keep accurate mpg records but my impression from how often I need to put gas in them and how fast the fuel gauge falls, tells me that the dual 4 bbl cars seem to get better gas mileage, enough to be apparent. Go figure.
Do the dual 4bbl carbs have smaller primaries than the singles?

Yes, 600 Holley and AFB carbs on the duals and 780 Holley and AFB on the singles.

Auto Transport Service
Back