• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dust those 318's off boys!

I have a HP273 and a LA Teen. Both are great engines. I would love to own a 64 Dodge and if it had a Poly Teen I would be happy as a pig. As I get older, the less acceleration and burning tires means to me. I am more into comfortable cruising and good fuel mileage.

I don't want to brag but.... ( here goes);
I have the last 318 made in 1969.
I have a 25 year old 5.2ltr/318cid in my 99 Dakota SLT 4x4 with only 60k miles

great lil' v8s,
that one listed isn't worth $2,950

unless it was a 4" stroked, internal ballanced 390+cid, with Eddy Aluminum Heads,
on a fresh build

lil' teens LA versions, & Magnums
they make good 'reliable' power if you know how to build them

the Magnums have better-flowing heads, hyr. roller cam, 1.6:1 rocker ratios
oil thru the pushrods, individual rockers stands
(just no mechanical fuel pump provision & have weird accessaries drive)
& their Truck/Magnum cast iron exhaust manifolds,
flow the best too... if you're into that stock crap

I remember reading somewhere they were
the least warrantied/needing fixed, engine ever produced

Ok, I have to ask. Why get a 318 when you can get a 360?

Ok, I have to ask. Why get a 318 when you can get a 360?
Believe me I tried,
I like my lil' teen thou in my Dakota it's fine
(I have some minor mods too, performs better/better milage too, than most 360's of equal year)
in my case you couldn't find any, in Nov. of 1999, late year market
they sold out fast, to begine with, like the 1st few months out...

I didn't want to wait & order it that way, it'd been a 2000 model too
& some $4,500-$5,500 more, I got a great deal on mine, I was lucky
you had to go out of state, to find one out here

Last edited:
If I didn't already have a roller cam LA Teen I could build, I would be looking for a Magnum. THey are good pieces and will replace a LA without too many mods.

The teen in my old Dakota would scalp stock 5.0s and 5.7s all day long, 3:55 and auto.. it was fun little truck.. don’t knock one till you try lol.. I like 273s too. I have one in my 72, wild cam and high compression and deep gears with a loose convertor.. it’s fun and different

I pulled my 318 out of car about 10 years ago. The motor still ran smooth, although it did burn some oil. It has about 250,000 miles on it. I know that because the odometer was showing the 50,000, but it was on its 3rd time around. I’m still storing it in my garage. I figure since it was the original engine, it might be worthwhile to hang on to it. Am I being unrealistic in thinking this way. Btw, I give it a turn every once in a while to make sure it doesn’t freeze up.
I mean, sort of, but then look at they UNTER HYPE the auction places like Mecum put on "numbers matching". So some rich guy somewhere will think it is an important thing to have the original quarter million mile small block with the car. I would keep it too, so long as you have the car anyway.
You could always do some old guy tricks with oil down the spark plug holes and the like to reduce worry about a lock up.

The teen in my old Dakota would scalp stock 5.0s and 5.7s all day long, 3:55 and auto.. it was fun little truck.. don’t knock one till you try lol.. I like 273s too. I have one in my 72, wild cam and high compression and deep gears with a loose convertor.. it’s fun and different
My 98 is a 5.2/5 speed, a rare beast indeed.
First is a truck gear, so it does righteous burnouts on demand.
Second is tall, typical of 90's 5 speeds. You are correct, the mighty 318 is right snappy given what it is in.
It begins to run out of steam late in third, but it will pull all the way up 400 into the red pretty well. By then it is approaching 75mph.
So 4th will continue pushing but by now the amazing aero qualities of a 4x4 Dakota (lol) have kicked in.

Still, who suspects these little trucks? It is a "modern" (lol 25 years old) sleeper.
I do want to find an R/T though. Not the later R/T's where it turned into an option package for 4x4's, an early one that was purpose built to go to the track and make a name for itself. Hard to find in WI.
Maybe I can pull the 318 from my Dakota, sell it for almost $3k like the guy in the add, and have most of the money I need to pick up the R/T? :)

Neighbor bought a 72 charger 318 new...he drove it 278,000 miles, then my brother and I bought it...it was COMPLETELY untouched! I never saw him go over 50 or even accelerate a little bit.
In our first 1/2 mile we floored it for the first time in its life!!!!.resulting in breaking the motor mount, exploding the fan shroud...which caused the accelerator pedal to go to the floor...resulting in excessive speed over railroad tracks..which ripped the exhaust off.Lol
Turned around went home and the timing chain broke as we pulled in the driveway.
Some people are just easier drivers...he nursed to 278k..we killed it in 1 mile.
:lol:

Last edited:
Neighbor bought a 72 charger 318 new...he drove it 278,000 miles, then my brother and I bought it...it was COMPLETELY untouched! I never saw him go over 50 or even accelerate a little bit.
In our first 1/2 mile we floored it for the first time in its life!!!!.resulting in breaking the motor mount, exploding the fan shroud...which caused the accelerator pedal to go to the floor...resulting in excessive speed over railroad tracks..which ripped the exhaust off.Lol
Turned around went home and the timing chain broke as we pulled in the driveway.
Some people are just easier drivers...he nursed to 278k..we killed it in 1 mile.
:lol:
No lie, not kidding, if that guy had beat that engine for 278,000 miles you wouldn't have broken it.
I don't know what it is about old mopar small blocks, but I have seen it and father in law swears by it, you beat the hell out of them in break in time, they "get used to it" and will run like a scalded dog forever.
He carried that philosophy all the way into his "kids and Dodge Caravan" days, beat the piss out of his 1990 3.3L caravan and it ran almost 400,000 miles and burned some oil, as he drove it to the junk with a bad transmission.
Mopar needs to run!

Built 318 la on student budget, they seem to be nice "lil" engine for sure. Much cheaper than big blocks here where im from atleast which works for me...
IMG_20210330_211831.jpg

They’re the Mopar version of a 307 Chevy.

NOT mine

Apparently WI has just plain lost it's mind. I found this Ford motor for sale today:

If you are not as well versed on Ford, the 360 was a very late entry in the old FE(called the Ford big blocks for a long while back in the day, the 1960's era) and was basically a destroked 390. They found their way almost exclusively into low dollar/option pick ups and was one of 3 sizes Ford favored for heavy duty or industrial use up to 76. you could find them in giant UHaul trucks for instance with a very elaborate mechanical governor on them. All of probably 145HP and 4 mpg, this was possibly the worst(and this is Ford now) V8 Ford made. NOBODY wants these, literally any of the other FE engines are better performers and most of them got better fuel economy to boot. The engine for sale here, being a 1975, would have been maybe in a pick up, but probably came out of a heavy truck with a compression ratio of like, 8.

back in my youth I came across a 67 Galaxie 500XL with a 390 in it. Whole shebang, buckets, console, AC, white car, black interior. The guy had pulled the 390 and wanted it for his truck. He offered the car with a 360. I knew this guy from work, and about a year later he gave up on his truck so I picked up the 390 for the car from him for $200. Later, I gave up on this car(long story, but essentially the frame behind the rear axle was gone, too much repairs for me) so this went up for sale. I found 3 guys interested in the 390. One thought he was going to show up and find the version from the 67 Mustang for some reason, the other made lots of phone calls, the last guy showed up. He wanted it bad. I told him the 360 could go with it. He DID NOT WANT IT FOR FREE. You can't give away a 360 lol. They have ZERO redeeming qualities, unless it is straight drop in runnable as is.

Anyway, not to go on and on, but I was deep into Ford land in my youth and this ad simply blew my mind, here a guy was silly enough to rebuild a 360, pay THAT kind f money to do it, and thinks he will get his money back out of it? LOL
The 318 was one thing, this is even more pie in the sky deluded.

I know it's not a 318, but I had a LA 340 in my 73 Road Runner. Yes, the lower horsepower "dog" years.
But what an awesome engine. First time I rebuilt it to pre 70 specs. When that died 35 years later, I built a 416 stroker. WOW, one of the best engines ever! Loads of torque, power galore, AND with 9.4:1 compression, it ran on 87 octane as we drove across country. Never missed a beat, and all the smooth power you could want.

Awesome!

So I can believe that a well built 318 stroker would be great as well.

I know it's not a 318, but I had a LA 340 in my 73 Road Runner. Yes, the lower horsepower "dog" years.
But what an awesome engine. First time I rebuilt it to pre 70 specs. When that died 35 years later, I built a 416 stroker. WOW, one of the best engines ever! Loads of torque, power galore, AND with 9.4:1 compression, it ran on 87 octane as we drove across country. Never missed a beat, and all the smooth power you could want.

Awesome!

So I can believe that a well built 318 stroker would be great as well.
And a 390 isn't many cubes away from a 408

Auto Transport Service
Back