• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dust those 318's off boys!

Detective D

Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
NOT MINE

1707273560294.png

If this thing sells I need to go hit up the local yard!

I have scrapped or given away every 318 I pulled or had. However, I have kept one 340 though and any 360's when I come across them.

I think the early 318's & truck 318's had a good forged crank & rods. Have used many crank & rods in 340's that I have built with good success.

The 318 is the best power plant Ma Mopar ever developed. Literally indestructible.
My son still runs the original 318 in his 72 Duster. Makes great power. It sat for 26 years in eastern Colorado before we rescued the car.
Soaked it in Marvel for two weeks, rolled over like butter. Fired up like it was shut down yesterday. 26,000 miles later still kicking ***.

Last edited:
The 318 is the best power plant Ma Mopar ever developed. Literally indestructible.
My son still runs the original 318 in his 72 Duster. Makes great power. It sat for 26 years in eastern Colorado before we rescued the car.
Soaked it in Marvel for two weeks, rolled over like butter. Fired up like it was shut down yesterday. 26,000 miles later still kicking ***.
I like 318's too. 383 and 318, run them hard all day and they laugh it off and ask for more.
But what this guy is asking is maybe just a little optimistic lol

That's a lot of dough for a $800 318. :p

A 318 is a great engine. It's even greater when you get one for free. But even if you pay a few hunnert moolahs, its a good deal. The seller of that one ? Dee-loo-sional.

Well, it says recently rebuilt so probably could have spent that much on it.

That has to be a typo... i paid $300 for my 318 and overpayed mainly cause the guy delivered it.. my lazy knows no bounds :)

I pulled my 318 out of car about 10 years ago. The motor still ran smooth, although it did burn some oil. It has about 250,000 miles on it. I know that because the odometer was showing the 50,000, but it was on its 3rd time around. I’m still storing it in my garage. I figure since it was the original engine, it might be worthwhile to hang on to it. Am I being unrealistic in thinking this way. Btw, I give it a turn every once in a while to make sure it doesn’t freeze up.

Back when, 318’s were more popular as boat anchors when all I wanted were BB’s; but know from my experiences they are reliable and tough. Wasn’t an easy decision when restoring my ’63 to keep the poly or drop it. After more thinking about what I would be doing driving-wise, didn’t need a big motor, but wanted some giddy-up. The rebuild and beefing did cost quite a bit more than I expected having the LONG list of receipts. A crate would have been less. Happy scale one to ten…nope well shy of 10 when I get the rare urge to do a thrilling burn-out…it can’t do. That’s about it; racing days left me with my youth.

Back when, 318’s were more popular as boat anchors when all I wanted were BB’s; but know from my experiences they are reliable and tough. Wasn’t an easy decision when restoring my ’63 to keep the poly or drop it. After more thinking about what I would be doing driving-wise, didn’t need a big motor, but wanted some giddy-up. The rebuild and beefing did cost quite a bit more than I expected having the LONG list of receipts. A crate would have been less. Happy scale one to ten…nope well shy of 10 when I get the rare urge to do a thrilling burn-out…it can’t do. That’s about it; racing days left me with my youth.
I wanted to keep my poly but did the math and switched to LA... can't wait to fire it up now.. waiting on warmer weather..

I wanted to keep my poly but did the math and switched to LA... can't wait to fire it up now.. waiting on warmer weather..
Happy motoring!

I don't want to brag but.... ( here goes);
I have the last 318 made in 1969.

Auto Transport Service
Back