• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dying interiors??

prhousejr

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
What dyes, and or methods are best for interiors? I am talking Seats, dash, headliner, kick panels. It is maroon now.....Want it black. Do dyes on seats do good?

I want a good dye, that wont rub off on skin and clothes.

Hey 69runner..... You on here? what about dyes? Can you help me out again?

I've used RIT dye on cloth. It's found in the laundry supply section of most grocery stores. The key to this is you have to be able to place the cloth in a washing machine. It doesn't bleed and holds up pretty well. I've used it in a stronger concentrate in a spray bottle to re-color my carpet and kick panel carpet where they faded fron sun exposure. Worked like a charm. I let it set for several days before messing with the areas to make sure it had soaked in and dried completely. For headliners or dash pads or anything plastic, there are spray paints for them. Different paint for plastics than vinyls. Make sure you get the right stuff. For vinyl and plastic, prep is the most critial step in getting the paints to stick and cover without runs and fisheyes. Rubbing alcohol will work on most surfaces without attacking the plastic. Sometimes a good scrubbing with soap and water and a thorough rinsing works too. Don't use acetone. And use clean, oil free gloves when working with the plastic parts after they are cleaned. It's real easy to get a finger print on them and it will mess up the adhesion of the paint. Also keep away any product with silicone as that too will mess up the paint adhesion.

There are other professional automotive dyes and tints for cloth, plastic, vinyl etc. You've just got to look for them and they can be pricey.

Thanks. Ever heard of anyone dying seats? This car has perfect seats except they are not black. I just dont want to ruin them they are in a 68 satellite. I guess they are vinyl.

SEM makes great dyes and paints for plastic and vinyl. They also have the products you need to prep the materials your spraying and make them stick.

For vinyl I think SEM (I think that's the stuff) makes a good product. Your seats will have to be super clean cause this is a spray on kinda thing. For plastic parts I have paint mixed at the auto paint store. They also sell the proper prep stuff to use before painting. I haven't tried this (but have thought about it quite a bit) that model car paints (Testors) might work really well on hard plastic interior parts....especially if you're going black or white. Just remember that those parts shouldn't be a high gloss.....unless you want it that way.

Thanks guys... I just bought some SEM spray.......Holy freaking crap!!! That stuff is HIGH. $11.25 a can at my local parts house...... I hope it is good. I was also thinking about Krylon fusion paint for plastic. I have used it before on other stuff it is really good on plastic, just a thought. Thanks guys....

I have dyed seats in cars a few times.You can go to your local automotive paint supply store and buy dye and spray it out of a paint gun.If you don't know how to use a paint gun I know a few guys that have had pretty good luck with the spray can stuff.Either way you want to wash down the seats with soapy water and the but some vinyl cleaner from your local automotive paint store.I have never had any of my dye come off.The key is a good name brand dye,cleaning of the vinyl,and spray thin coats.
Good Luck,Jim

the krylon made for plastic and vinyl does a great job for the price, I have sprayed two cars and there has been no issue with cracks or flaking etc... also it is nice that your vinyl and plastic all spray from the same can, no running around town getting two products and hoping they match. Cost a local auto store is about $6 per can. I think I used 4 or 5 cans.

Thanks guys... I just bought some SEM spray.......Holy freaking crap!!! That stuff is HIGH. $11.25 a can at my local parts house...... I hope it is good. I was also thinking about Krylon fusion paint for plastic. I have used it before on other stuff it is really good on plastic, just a thought. Thanks guys....

The SEM was good stuff, used it in my old foxbody.. Prep it good, lots of light coats.. shouldnt have a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back