• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dyno day this friday, place your bets

Stegs

Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
bringing my charger away friday to have it dyno tuned on saturday morning. Curious what you guys think it will do

Its a 440 (69 block) its got 906 heads that have been cleaned up, new valves (stock size) stock crank...its bored 30 over but has a compression ratio of about 8.7:1 with a elgin cam

Its got a holley 750, vac secondaries carb. The carb was mounted right out of the box, never touched. I also have a eddy performer intake.

I had it rebuilt 2 years ago, told them i wanted a 9.5 compression engine...He ordered pistons that said 9.5, but when i had a "expert" do the math, he came up with 8.7:1

It runs good, not very responsive and take a while to get the motor into a "happy rpm range" it does pull really good, its a great cruiser

Im hoping that dyno tuning it will help out, not so much in HP but in "drive-ability"

what do you guys think it will do

Trans is a 727, it has the 8 3/4 rear with a 3.23 sure grip. factory manifolds and a firecore ignition

So at the rear wheels and the low compression: 350 hp @4500 and 450 torque......

So at the rear wheels and the low compression: 350 hp @4500 and 450 torque......

I would be stunned, flat out shocked it was over 300 to the wheels. It does run good, but its a low compression 440.

If it makes 350/450 after its tuned i would be shocked

I would be stunned, flat out shocked it was over 300 to the wheels. It does run good, but its a low compression 440.

If it makes 350/450 after its tuned i would be shocked
I don't disagree but I hope it will:thumbsup: One benefit is a little more cubes....

I don't disagree but I hope it will:thumbsup: One benefit is a little more cubes....
well my goal down the road is eddy 75cc heads, lunati 268/276 cam, better intake and headers. But its a tight budget. Right now i just want to get the most out of what i have with better driveability. Slowly add go fast parts as money allows.

well my goal down the road is eddy 75cc heads, lunati 268/276 cam, better intake and headers. But its a tight budget. Right now i just want to get the most out of what i have with better driveability. Slowly add go fast parts as money allows.
I would take drive ability over performance any day.....Keep us posted

I would take drive ability over performance any day.....Keep us posted

I agree. Im not one of those guys who needs 400+ to the wheels. Yes, that would be alot of fun, but at some point you will start to break things....and that gets costly. At 29 years old, married for almost 5 years, baby on the way....last thing i want is to keep fixing things

Im hoping that a dyno tune will not only unlock some better hp/tq numbers, but get the car to idle perfect, good throttle response at any rpm etc....I use the car only to cruise to the beach and get ice cream. Driveability is my goal, power and torque can always be done as money allows

EDIT, i spoke again with the guy that was going to dyno tune my car. He said if im thinking about adding a new cam and aluminum heads, just to wait on the tune. Everything will get thrown off by the heads and cam.
So as of right now its postponed. Im thinking off adding the aluminum heads to bump the flow and compression, and doing a better cam as mine is a lazy dog.

Dyno tune will come after

A dead stock 10-1 440 has trouble touching 350hp on an engine dyno. 8.7-1 is a killer.
Doug

285 hp at the wheels

How much for a Dyno tune? Get it. Maybe you will be happy with it and as above good baseline. Mine isn't much different with headers and cut outs. 9.5:1. Able to squeeze 415 RWHP. Nothing broke yet, seems hard on rear tires. I figure about 500 at the crank is optimum for smile driven torque steer.

Have you tried a smaller carb? May help with the responsiveness.... Only thing you will really lose will be in the upper rpm....

It be nice to go ahead and get a base line to start with.

Thought about it, but then im paying 2 times for a tune. Really dont want to. Heads are 1100 dollars for the pair, cam is another 200-22
Have you tried a smaller carb? May help with the responsiveness.... Only thing you will really lose will be in the upper rpm....

yes i had a eddy 600 cfm carb on before this, it was nice, but the car literally was choked out at 3500 rpm or so, you could feel the car fall on its face.

When i went with the 750 holley, it made a night and day difference for the better. Im leaning towards upgrading the heads and the cam, getting more performance that way and then tuning that combo....but we will see.

I know right now, without knowing at all what my hp/tq numbers are.......I know that im not happy with the performance. Maybe a tune would help, but i dont think its going to do enough to make me happy. So i view tuning a 8.7:1 440 is a waste.

For what i would pay to have the car tuned i could have a new cam and lifters....ill get more performance out of the cam than i would the tune....

when your trying to do it right, but on a very tight budget.....i dont want to throw money away

Waiting is not a bad thing......That way you will be happiest overall because it will be the way you want it.

Auto Transport Service
Back