• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 66 Charger?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Did Dodge ever refer to the early 66 models as a 65 1/2?
Mike

No. Why do you ask?

Don't know of 65 1/2, but earlier and later 66 Charger models are a real thing... My 66 is an early model. There are probably some subtile things that may have been different , but the on a early 66, instrument cluster is the easiest way to tell. On early models, the little pointed "spinners" on the 4 gauges have a shinny center disc with chromed pointy spinners. On later 66 models, the center spinners where cup shaped and all black with exception of the top edge of the cup rim was chromed. Why would this change ? Somebody at Chrysler, or the subcontractor that made the custer housing decided that the separate center disc manufacture and installation was too expensive and suggested to Chrysler that it should be something that could be molded in, since other chroming was being done, why not do the center edge only to save $. Or, perhaps Chrysler never planned that so many would be sold and only ordered so may of the early version cluster ? Who knows..
Google 66 Charger instrument cluster look at images.

Being that it was introduced new year's day '66 i would think it's more like '66 1/2.

Being that it was introduced new year's day '66 i would think it's more like '66 1/2.
That was going around back then. The first Mustangs were a late/mid year release as were the Barracuda's. They apparently weren't ready for a normal August 1 release.

Early and late Chargers also had different front sway bar styles (this is likely true of other B-bodies). Early style bar clamped to front strut rods, like '64-'65. Later style attached to LCA, like '67 and up.

Don't know of 65 1/2, but earlier and later 66 Charger models are a real thing... My 66 is an early model. There are probably some subtile things that may have been different , but the on a early 66, instrument cluster is the easiest way to tell. On early models, the little pointed "spinners" on the 4 gauges have a shinny center disc with chromed pointy spinners. On later 66 models, the center spinners where cup shaped and all black with exception of the top edge of the cup rim was chromed. Why would this change ? Somebody at Chrysler, or the subcontractor that made the custer housing decided that the separate center disc manufacture and installation was too expensive and suggested to Chrysler that it should be something that could be molded in, since other chroming was being done, why not do the center edge only to save $. Or, perhaps Chrysler never planned that so many would be sold and only ordered so may of the early version cluster ? Who knows..
Google 66 Charger instrument cluster look at images.
That might have been a Ralph Nader thing. If you had an accident, the pointer couldn’t poke your eye.

"On January 1, 1966, viewers of the Rose Bowl were first introduced to the new "Leader of the Dodge Rebellion", the 1966 Charger. The Charger's debut also followed by a half model year the introduction of a new street version of the 426 cu in (7.0 L) Chrysler Hemi engine. With the Charger, Dodge had a new model to build a performance image to go along with this engine."

Some states may title a car the year it was bought instead of model year.
Neighbor long ago sold his 55 Chevy to my brother. When we called it a 55
he was adamant that it was a 54.It was titled a 54. Not saying that any Chargers were released before but who knows.

Correct on the sway bar being different. Real bitch to change out the forward bushing rubber.. And I think the radio knobs changed for 67 models ? Forgot about that. Remember reading about Ralph Nader not liking the steering wheels in the 66 either. I prefer the 66 steering wheel much better than the ones in 67s. I'll try not to poke my eye with the pointy radio knobs.

Auto Transport Service
Back