• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 8-3/4 end play adjustments

Lefty71

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Maybe this should be posted in the "driveline" category, but i`m gonna try here first because only 64 and prior apply.
So, if I'm understanding this correctly 65 was the first year that axle shaft end play was adjusted with the adjuster/pawl setup. 64 and prior used shims correct?? My question is, are these shims available, or possibly fit alternate applications?? If no, how are you guys accomplishing end play axle adjustment?? Please no need to answer "replace axles" or "go Green bearing" as I already realize those possibilities, thx.
Since I am starting with a complete assembly, I can measure all "as is"..... I plan to change differential carrier.... maybe I can duplicate the internal width of the center pin?? ( not a button on open diff, maybe I have my terminology a little screwed up?? I think I'm trying to say thrust block assy..) If I can make the new the same, it may set-up without any change in end play from previous?? Sorry for the rambling...
TIA, Lefty71

Last edited:
If you have a '62 or '63 the axles are shorter with an open differential than with a Sure Grip because of the 1/8" wider thrust spacer used with the open. It's not what you are asking but is worth mentioning.

'62- '63 had longer axles in the open rear.

Your '64 axles should be the same length for open rear or sure grip. Shims are used for axle adjustment. Let us know if you don't have a Factory Service Manual so we can give you the what for. :)

Good responses thx to both of you. Looks like I need to figure if the Sure-Trac II unit shares the same thrust block dimension as the open carrier. Also, I still may need to find a source for shims if adjustment is needed. My factory manual selection includes '62, '67 and '72, and maybe others including old Chiltons, MotorManuals, etc. I think I understand the procedure but we will see lol.

I went through this a few years ago as my rear was set up by an idiot. Original 62 housing and axles and 742 3.23 clutch SG, but had no thrust button fitted to SG and no shims between backing plates and housing, so about 1/4" axle end float... Sourced thrust button from Dr Diff but was unable to find a source for shims so I made them myself.

Khryslerkid's info in post #3 has proven to be golden....
I pulled the thrust block from the 741 oringinal open chunk and also pulled the thrust button from the new SureTracII unit.... they both measure exactly 1.5"

Now to make my axle restoration complete (sans proper Suregrip), I need to get the end play sorted with the shims..... it should fall into place, but I think someone has monkeyed with it in the past.

[/URL]

Auto Transport Service
Back