• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Retirement Insurance Woes

The catch to that is you do not know when those last two years are coming.

My wife's brother just passed the 15th of this month.
Cancer , he was 65.
He had his medicare as I understand it his supplement was his wife's insurance from her employer.
He spent his last 3 weeks in the hospital.
His cancer was discovered 3 months ago.
And why getting medical care at the arbitrary age of 55? might have been a way to head off terminal cancer suffered at 65.
I think your comment supports my suggestion rather well actually.

And RIP

Last edited:
Soooo,

"The ACA limits the monthly price you spend on health insurance based on how much you earn. If you make more, you'll pay a higher percentage of your total insurance rate, but you won't pay more than 8.5% of your income for a plan. If you have a lower income, you might get enough of a subsidy to cover the entire cost of your plan."

From: https://www.valuepenguin.com/aca-subsidy-calculator#:~:text=The ACA limits the monthly price you spend,to cover the entire cost of your plan.

It is my understanding that the amount you "earn" is based on what what you actually earn now, not what you earned last year, last month, or last week. But I could be wrong on that. IIRC the manager I spoke with said you need to claim around 24K to get the best rate, any lower and you might get dumped onto Medicaid. Anyway, just call them and they will walk you through the process. I had no problems and was paying just $59 a month for the two of us. That is total, not each. Then we lowered our income too much and got punted onto Medicaid. We are both over 60 so it worked out well for us, so far. We will see if lasts until we hit 65. Best of luck in your quest.

PS. We used a insurance broker to do our application/etc and had to be on the Silver plan to get the best rates.

Last edited:
impala popcorn.gif

Did you not understand "pick your poison"?

BTW insurance is basically, here it comes the dreaded dog whistle word, cover your ears, socialized private financial shared risk.

And Medicare is not socialized medical care, its closer to single payer, big difference.
Well you miss read my post and then never answer the questions I posed. Who said Medicare was socialized med - seems like you’re trying to twist what I said to what you apparently wanted me to say but didn’t. Take a reading comprehension course and afterwards or along side practice answering posed questions that have been asked to points you try to make. That’s how litigators make a living. Oh and by the way it’s not good etiquette to try and answer a question with another question….

And why getting medical care at the arbitrary age of 55? might have been a way to head off terminal cancer suffered at 65.

And RIP
I guess my point to my way of thinking is do what you have to do but get some coverage.
No matter what your age things happen and most of us do not see it coming.
And thank you, he was great guy and father.

And RIP
Another ridiculous post to try and sque to your “suggestion”. Anyone w/insurance or often even w/o - It’s up to an individual to seek care. My wife is a RN at a very uptown University Medical Center here - they take all comers - homeless, gangbangers, those who can’t pay for what ever reason…. You trying to imply Medicare at 55 would have been the panacea for this poor guy - simply not the case. Getting care was up to him, you or me….. Medicare at 55 doesn’t have an f*ing thing to do with it….

As the late PJ O Rourke once said, “if you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it’s free”.

Another ridiculous post to try and sque to your “suggestion”. Anyone w/insurance or often even w/o - It’s up to an individual to seek care. My wife is a RN at a very uptown University Medical Center here - they take all comers - homeless, gangbangers, those who can’t pay for what ever reason…. You trying to imply Medicare at 55 would have been the panacea for this poor guy - simply not the case. Getting care was up to him, you or me….. Medicare at 55 doesn’t have an f*ing thing to do with it….
Really, then the same could be said for Medicare at 56, 57, 58,,,,,,,,,,, 65, 66, and so on?
I'm saying his chances would have been better, as there are no guarantees in life, including that we will ever agree, except I'm fairly certain I seldom will ever have to resort to profanity to make my point, as tempting as it might be.:)

Well you miss read my post and then never answer the questions I posed. Who said Medicare was socialized med - seems like you’re trying to twist what I said to what you apparently wanted me to say but didn’t. Take a reading comprehension course and afterwards or along side practice answering posed questions that have been asked to points you try to make. That’s how litigators make a living. Oh and by the way it’s not good etiquette to try and answer a question with another question….
Says who?

Says who?
Again the “answer the question w/a question” routine and further, on top of that you can’t see who says what I said? You have not responded to or answered any of my questions. I’m guessing you crawled out of the Everglades and are just discovering civilization very recently .…..

Last edited:
Well, I retired at 48 years old, I have owned 4 companies that paid my insurance until then, now I pay personally at $950.00 per month and 4000 something in max out of pocket.
It's stupid..... and I know im paying for many others, but wtf are you going to do?
The money is not the problem, but where it's going bothers me much more.
Btw I just turned 62 and just got my first social security check, it will pay for my insurance and then some so it's ok I guess.

Last edited:
Well, I retired at 48 years old, I have owned 4 companies that paid my insurance until then, now I pay personally at $950.00 per month and 4000 something in max out of pocket.
It's stupid..... and I know im paying for many others, but wtf are you going to do?
The money is not the problem, but where it's going bothers me much more.
Btw I just turned 62 and just got my first social security check, it will pay for my insurance and then some so it's ok I guess.
I think most of us agree - accept the money is the problem for most. But the where it’s been and where it’s going part is - yes deeply troubling. Even more so when we know the “civil servants” that force this garbage on the populace don’t have to play by the same rules. We pay for their extravagant healthcare plans that are nowhere near what we’re stuck with - and along the way they’re lining thier pockets with many, many millions of $$$ along the way. It’s a horrible thought that we seem unable to right this democracy by getting rid of the very cancer that’s eroding it…..

I think most of us agree - accept the money is the problem for most. But the where it’s been and where it’s going part is - yes deeply troubling. Even more so when we know the “civil servants” that force this garbage on the populace don’t have to play by the same rules. We pay for their extravagant healthcare plans that are nowhere near what we’re stuck with - and along the way they’re lining thier pockets with many, many millions of $$$ along the way. It’s a horrible thought that we seem unable to right this democracy by getting rid of the very cancer that’s eroding it…..
Your statements are not only quite true... but they're very realistic.
but what are we going to do for the average people that need good insurance? we need to elect officials that will correct this ****. but I tell you what, it will never happen in our lifetimes... let's hope it happens for our kids and grandkids lifetimes.
My thinking is that it will get worse for them.
God help the next generation, they are going to need it!

The system isn't messed up because we are paying for other's care, it's messed up because of profiteering, litigation, and the impact it has on malpractice defense and insurance. Nobody has to formulate a guess on this. Ask any doctor, nurse, chiropractor, massage therapists, dentist, etc. and they will burn your ears off. The paperwork, insurance costs, and CYA that must be performed in the medical field is staggering, and none of the costs associated with it actually goes toward your care.

But probably more impactful is how healthcare has evolved. 50 years ago if you became chronically ill you just lingered for awhile and died. Medical science has now figured out how to limp people along with chronic illness for years. Is this a better or worse way to live/die? .... opinions divided I'm sure, but we can all agree that being under a doctor's care for years and years uses up a lot of resources and is very, very expensive.

Unless you are a diabetic (who doesn't fit the obese/inactive profile).

...and all you need is a shot 4 times a day to lead a 99.99% normal life.

The system isn't messed up because we are paying for other's care, it's messed up because of profiteering, litigation, and the impact it has on malpractice defense and insurance. Nobody has to formulate a guess on this. Ask any doctor, nurse, chiropractor, massage therapists, dentist, etc. and they will burn your ears off. The paperwork, insurance costs, and CYA that must be performed in the medical field is staggering, and none of the costs associated with it actually goes toward your care.

But probably more impactful is how healthcare has evolved. 50 years ago if you became chronically ill you just lingered for awhile and died. Medical science has now figured out how to limp people along with chronic illness for years. Is this a better or worse way to live/die? .... opinions divided I'm sure, but we can all agree that being under a doctor's care for years and years uses up a lot of resources and is very, very expensive.
This is very true, my doctor has become a personal freind over the years , we hang out together once and a while (the ****** just bought a aston martin vanquist black on black on black, it's satin black... not my fav but a very cool supercar indeed.
Steve already has a bently cloud.cool car indeed

Well, having said that.... some our discussions revolves around the drug companies,
We all need to know that all drugs are pushed...could be your doctor or the dude on the corner its all the same, opiads will destroy all you love

Thats what I've been told by the smartest person I know
Take it or leave it?...

Last edited:
This is very true, my doctor has become a personal freind over the years , we hang out together once and a while (the ****** just bought a aston martin vanquist black on black on black, it's satin black... not my fav but a very cool supercar indeed.
Steve already a a bently, I think cloud not sure?
and some our discussions revolves around the drug companies,
We all need to know that all drugs are pushed...could be your doctor or the dude on the corner its all the same, opiads will destroy all you love
While I completely agree w/you. Opiates are much more tightly controlled now - drs are more fearful of scripting more than a few and there are mechanisms in place to watch every move of everybody. Certainly not saying there aren’t methods to skirt the system somehow. It’s much more difficult even for people w/legit chronic pain. However there are more devious ways many of the pharmas are poisoning us w/there wares. Take the phenomenal pumping of “the plague” drugs into unwitting folks - I speak specifically of Phizer and the like. No more flu, no more common cold - everything is the plague and needs their weaponized **** to stop it. Hundreds of billions of dollars have overflown their coffers from continuing to proffer fake variants and scare those that don’t get it to buy their poison. They were busted on video by - I can’t quite recall the name of that prominent outfit run by a lawyer that seeks and exposes such things. I witnessed the Pfizer execs talking and laughing over beers about how they were going to perpetuate this cash cow in perpetuity by the variant strategy and their developed products to “fight it”. Incredible scam - pls don’t get me started on pharma….
I’ve got to go mainline now to calm down.….

Auto Transport Service
Back