• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eat this and not that......jerkeys

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
This is about eating 'healthy' snacks and am looking at this....
https://www.eatthis.com/meat-snacks/
#1 on the list.....And for the ones that don't like clicking on links, this one starts with Field Trip brand cracked pepper all natural turkey jerky. Don't recall ever trying turkey jerky and has anyone tried this one?

#4 on the list is Brooklyn Biltong beef jerkey sounds interesting. Again, never tired it and has anyone else here tried it?

There's 22 in all but haven't had the chance to look at all of them yet.

Those two you picked out sound yummy! They may be full of protein, but with that level of sodium I would hesitate to add them to the 'healthy' category. :)

There's probably a million brands of jerky....it's so easy to make.
Besides home-made a favorite brand of our camping and hunting crew is called 'Carson's Grandpa', for humor more than anything else....

"Mmm can't wait to get out there and get me big mouthful of Carson's Grandpa...."

:rofl:

Last edited:
Those two you picked out sound yummy! They may be full of protein, but with that level of sodium I would hesitate to add them to the 'healthy' category. :)
Better than eating a hot dog which I do.....but it's just the dog with no bun or anything else except for some mustard. I still have a dehydrator....one of the things my wife got to try and make jerkey. It wasn't bad but....and I really don't like cooking that much lol.

I was on a turkey jerky kick for a while.
Health wise, it's even better for you than beef jerky.

I've had biltong a few times as well.
Kind of reminds me of Armour dried beef.

I've had salmon jerky too.
That was interesting.

Surprisingly I don't care for bacon jerky.
It's just not the same.
...and this is coming from a guy who's motto is "there's no such thing as bad bacon".

I have had many jerkies of all types
when I was in Alaska mainly all smoked/dried meats
they made jerky out of everything it seemed
Turkey is pretty good IMO

I prefer wild game smoked or Jerky'd (I know I know)

The red meats seem to do well smoked/Jerky'd
I've had Elk, Bear, Moose, Deer/Venison, Wild & Domestic Turkey
Pheasant, Chicken, Duck (I like it better than reg duck), Goose
Goat, Lamb, Mt. Goat/Dall Sheep, Caribou, Pork/Wild Hog/Boar
Beef, Bison/Buffalo, Beefalo hybrid, MuskOx
lots of fish,
Bluegill/Perch, Trout, Salmon, Halibut, Lingcod/Rockfish, Shark, Sturgeon etc.

I'm sure something I've missed
IMO the Deer/Venison & Wild Hog/Boar was the best
Bear was good too

I love smoked fish or Jerky'd

My next-door neighbor got an Elk last season in Montana IIRC
he made some killer smoked sausage out of some of the trimmings

Jerky meat is very lean. The toughness is very hard on your teeth and the salt will kill you. (just ask your cardiologist)

As a diabetic, jerky one one of the few "free" snacks I can eat.

Unfortunately it takes a toll when I go to the dentist.

For the last thirty plus years we only eat red meat that I harvest myself. Unless we go to a restaurant, of course.It’s not second class stuff; we get it professionally cut and wrapped. Looks like it came from the supermarket. Jerky and sausage made, hamburger patties made. We get about thirty pounds of weiners made, they are awesome. A bit if fried onion and sourkraut, a shmear of mustard, heaven!
As I get older Buffalo jerky is too stringy for me, but the elk melts in your mouth.
It takes ten pounds of meat to make one pound of jerky so it’s not really viable to get deer jerky made but it makes fine burger patties.

I got 3 pounds of Michigan venison in my freezer waiting for just the right circumstances.

Auto Transport Service
Back