• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed (short - promise!) Story Time - "Old Pocket Knives"

Yes sir - and the other is this:
View attachment 1529992
Neither one are worth much in the world of knife-tradin', I'm sure.
Doesn't matter one bit to me.

View attachment 1529919
Looks like a couple of old, sort of raggedy pocket knives to most, right?
Well, to me, they're a little bit more than that - they were Pops', you know.
I've had them near me ever since he passed, going on 13 years ago now...
Until yesterday, that is...

We attended the Cruise In at the Farm down in Bulls Gap yesterday
( 9-23-23 Cruise In at the Farm )
and while there, I was going through my pockets whilst sitting in a lawn chair in
front of Fred, grumbling whilst looking for a lighter or some such.
A bit miffed, I wound up dumping all contents of my "cargo" shorts on the ground beside me - and later on, I made
an attempt to pick everything back up and put it all back in the assigned pockets...
Except...you guessed it....these two fellas, hiding like they were in the freshly mowed Johnson grass.
I did a total senile on them, distracted as I was by a really nice day and an equally nice drive and show and all.

The loss wasn't discovered until much later at home.
I feverishly went through everything at home, looking for them to no avail - and finally tried to resign myself to having
lost those knives forever.
You know, old forgetful Ed - and they're just junky old knives, right?
The "old" Ed would have been dancing online looking for newer, better ones in a heartbeat - but that wasn't happening
last night. Didn't even occur to me... "Oh well". *shrugs shoulders*

Well - turned out, not so much.
It ate at me, enough so I decided I was actually going back down there today (half hour away) to look for them,
as much of a futile needle in a haystack type search as that was going to be.
Didn't matter. I had to at least try....
Bonus! Lisa actually agrees to go with me, too!
Good thing, too...

Yep, she was the one who spotted them first - and it was then that the true impact of these silly-assed little knives
upon me was felt. I literally had to gather my thoughts back up before we could leave there to go home for a moment...
Thank heavens she puts up with me.
Thank heavens stuff like these damn knives actually do mean something to me nowadays, too.
Since I spent a majority of my life with such stuff not always mattering to me, I consider it an indication of slight
improvement of my soul, really - and I now understood why it all had to happen to begin with, too.

Damn silly-assed little knives actually taught me a lesson! :thumbsup:
View attachment 1529919
Looks like a couple of old, sort of raggedy pocket knives to most, right?
Well, to me, they're a little bit more than that - they were Pops', you know.
I've had them near me ever since he passed, going on 13 years ago now...
Until yesterday, that is...

We attended the Cruise In at the Farm down in Bulls Gap yesterday
( 9-23-23 Cruise In at the Farm )
and while there, I was going through my pockets whilst sitting in a lawn chair in
front of Fred, grumbling whilst looking for a lighter or some such.
A bit miffed, I wound up dumping all contents of my "cargo" shorts on the ground beside me - and later on, I made
an attempt to pick everything back up and put it all back in the assigned pockets...
Except...you guessed it....these two fellas, hiding like they were in the freshly mowed Johnson grass.
I did a total senile on them, distracted as I was by a really nice day and an equally nice drive and show and all.

The loss wasn't discovered until much later at home.
I feverishly went through everything at home, looking for them to no avail - and finally tried to resign myself to having
lost those knives forever.
You know, old forgetful Ed - and they're just junky old knives, right?
The "old" Ed would have been dancing online looking for newer, better ones in a heartbeat - but that wasn't happening
last night. Didn't even occur to me... "Oh well". *shrugs shoulders*

Well - turned out, not so much.
It ate at me, enough so I decided I was actually going back down there today (half hour away) to look for them,
as much of a futile needle in a haystack type search as that was going to be.
Didn't matter. I had to at least try....
Bonus! Lisa actually agrees to go with me, too!
Good thing, too...

Yep, she was the one who spotted them first - and it was then that the true impact of these silly-assed little knives
upon me was felt. I literally had to gather my thoughts back up before we could leave there to go home for a moment...
Thank heavens she puts up with me.
Thank heavens stuff like these damn knives actually do mean something to me nowadays, too.
Since I spent a majority of my life with such stuff not always mattering to me, I consider it an indication of slight
improvement of my soul, really - and I now understood why it all had to happen to begin with, too.

Damn silly-assed little knives actually taught me a lesson! :thumbsup:
Some good stories here. Sort of" raggedy" has its own meaning to all of us. I have these 3 that have their own special place. Small silver was my 'great granddads, middle one was my daddy's everyday carry, largest one was his lifesaver he carried while stationed in Lakehurst NJ. Navy groundsman for 'Blimps'
These stay in cabinet with some close friends.

20230925_081754.jpg

20230925_081931.jpg

Some good stories here. Sort of" raggedy" has its own meaning to all of us. I have these 3 that have their own special place. Small silver was my 'great granddads, middle one was my daddy's everyday carry, largest one was his lifesaver he carried while stationed in Lakehurst NJ. Navy groundsman for 'Blimps'
These stay in cabinet with some close friends.

View attachment 1530583

View attachment 1530584
I've got a couple NRA embossed pocket knives that they used to give out with annual memberships
back 15-20 years ago - and of course, neither were made in this country. :)

i don’t blame you one bit , i would of returned and done the search also . anything my dad left me means a lot to me . to me the knives are a connection for you , to me that is important….

These were my grandfathers. My uncle has another shoe box that’s about a 1/3 full that he is going to give me. He told me to keep the best for me and give the rest to my cousins.

IMG_2819.jpeg

IMG_2822.jpeg

IMG_2820.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back