• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed Story Time - Re: The newest episode of Coldwarmotors YT channel - Fred's 10 seconds of fame!

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
Ed Story Time! (apologies in advance...)
Those of you who watch the Cold War Motors YouTube channel already know how wonderful the shenanigans
are with that bunch of "agents" in Alberta Canada...
(I stumbled upon the channel like a dozen years ago, whilst on one of my recouperations after cancer surgery
number whatever that one was....and was hooked. I believe Scott is right when he says he did the "will it

run?" type videos of old junkers first.)

Scott, the channels' owner, is a pretty damn good "tin man" by trade and he does it old-school style, in ways
that are at times quite amazing - but he's blessed to be so talented at it, too.
He's also a fun-loving, not-pressed sort of a fellow too - and he loves old cars. ANY old cars, pretty much.
His collection (don't call it junkyard!) is over 50 in quantity and they span the gamut of a lot of old 50's and 60's
Mopars, but there's tons of others makes too (he loves Citroens, for example).
He likes having them around and they occasionally offer up parts (or become the next project!).

His body/metal skills are for real, he's very meticulous when needed, not so much when not - and very mechanically
inclined in general. He doesn't care if he doesn't leave his "compound" for days sometimes - he lives what
he does there and prefers it to much of anything else.
It's the sort of place I wish I lived near; I'd be very comfortable being an "agent", I think.

He and I have regularly corresponded over the years, by comments posted on his videos or emails or whatever...
but a few years back, he was at a crossroads with production of new stuff for the channel.
It takes a lot of time (which means $$$ to a self-employed guy like him) and the channel wasn't producing the
amount of views needed to make a living off of - so he was about to stop doing new stuff for the show and
go back to full-time body shop employment.

When he spoke of this to me, I urged him to at least try a Patreon account first; I thought (and still think) that
what he does on the channel matters to a lot of people, far beyond just documenting all the goofiness and
restoration work that goes on up there.
I said "what the hell, give it a whirl. If it fails then hey, at least you tried - but I'm guessing the support
will
be far greater from others than you think."
Scott being the humble sort didn't believe anyone much would support the channel that way...but he agreed reluctantly
to at least try.
Well, the rest is history...and the support came!

Despite next to zero help from the infamous YT "algorithm", the channel not only survived but support for it
was strong enough - maybe even stronger than I suspected, which is wonderful!
Scott was again humbled by all the support and it got to be enough for him to devote to doing full-time projects
and producing the content of the channel, something he spends countless hours on as the obligation to the
subscribers leads him to. He doesn't have to take on paying gigs anymore at all if he doesn't want to.

In the live chats and such, he always mentions to folks who it was that put the Patreon bug in his ear, too...
and that's my time to be humbled and grateful.
It's a serious "bucket list" thing that I somehow make my way up to visit CWM one day, it really is -
but the realist in me knows the likelihood of that at this point of my life isn't very high, especially given
that I don't fly....
That's ok - I'm just tickled that small group up in Androssan AB are still at it and sharing it with anyone who
watches - and I'm very proud of Scott, too.
His decision to go this route took a ton of courage and good things should happen to good guys...
at least sometimes anyways, right?

Ok, all of that to say this:
Scott is a Mopar guy, amongst other weird stuff. His favorites are the Fury from the late 50's/early 60's, along with big
ol' c-bodies from the early 70's. Another of the gang who also likes c-bodies is Myles, who has built more than a few BB
Mopar engines over time and currently owns one he's ressurected.
Myles likes to talk about an engines' lope with a big cam as having a "chop" to them; it's sort of a running gag on the
show and Scott often wonders what would happen if Myles and I got in the same room and yakked about big blocks. :)
Myles had asked in a live chat one day if I had anything online he could see/listen to on Fred (my '68 GTX) and Scott
immediately led him to my own pathetic YT channel....he wanted to hear Fred's "chop".
I posted a link to one of my videos on the Patreon "Community" page so Myles would be able to refer to it.

Next thing you know....it's Fred's 10 seconds of fame!
Scott has taken a small sample of one of my videos of Fred, then the same from a recent video featuring Myles' 383 and made
the "cold open" scene on the current CWM episode:

Lookit, none of this matters to much of anyone except those directly involved, I know - I ain't nobody, after all - but the huge
grin I got on my face when I recognized Fred's sound on that cold open lasted quite a while anyways.
Even better, my wife immediately recognized Fred's sound when she happened by my computer when I was watching the
video, too!!

It really is the little things in life, isn't it?

Zero interest, eh?
Well, I thought it was sorta cool, anyways....

Zero interest, eh?
Well, I thought it was sorta cool, anyways....
Ed, Ed, Ed.

We are car guys - we don't wake up early!

I didn't have time to watch the one hour video this morning, but I did skip around a bit. I like these guys - seem like down to earth guys doing what they love!

Where in the video is the Fred reference? I looked but obviously missed it.

Ed, Ed, Ed.

We are car guys - we don't wake up early!

I didn't have time to watch the one hour video this morning, but I did skip around a bit. I like these guys - seem like down to earth guys doing what they love!

Where in the video is the Fred reference? I looked but obviously missed it.
Hell, the way I write, most folks don't have time to read my posts - leave alone any hour-long videos.
I know this. :)
As I said in my TL;DR post above, it's the very first thing you hear in the video - the first toy car pulls into
frame to the sound of Fred's actual idle, followed by the other toy car with Myles' real life car sounds.
They then take off together in a little drag race. It's hilarious. :)

Hell, the way I write, most folks don't have time to read my posts - leave alone any hour-long videos.
As I said in my TL;DR post above, it's the very first thing you hear in the video - the first toy car pulls into
frame to the sound of Fred's actual idle, followed by the other toy car with Myles' real life car sounds.
OK. I did see that - I just wasn't sure if he would mention Fred anywhere.

Good stuff!

OK. I did see that - I just wasn't sure if he would mention Fred anywhere.

Good stuff!
I always leave a pre-emptive comment on each new weekly video of his that lets him know
I see he's posted it - and that I'll be watching it around 3am the next morning, just as I
always have.
My comment is always the same and is simple: "3am"
He'll sometimes give that a "favorite" heart icon, but that's about it...
He never replies to it, knowing my long-winded comment is coming later on after I've
watched the episode - but he did this time!
He actually replied to this comment with one of his own, saying he hopes
I enjoy the cold open featuring Fred's idling sounds..
Very cool stuff, he didn't have to....

There's video of my 62 doing a burnout on a history channel special on drag racing (from about fifteen years ago.)
Actual screen time? Something under three seconds, but I like it anyway.

Ed Story Time! (apologies in advance...)
Those of you who watch the Cold War Motors YouTube channel already know how wonderful the shenanigans
are with that bunch of "agents" in Alberta Canada...
(I stumbled upon the channel like a dozen years ago, whilst on one of my recouperations after cancer surgery
number whatever that one was....and was hooked. I believe Scott is right when he says he did the "will it

run?" type videos of old junkers first.)

Scott, the channels' owner, is a pretty damn good "tin man" by trade and he does it old-school style, in ways
that are at times quite amazing - but he's blessed to be so talented at it, too.
He's also a fun-loving, not-pressed sort of a fellow too - and he loves old cars. ANY old cars, pretty much.
His collection (don't call it junkyard!) is over 50 in quantity and they span the gamut of a lot of old 50's and 60's
Mopars, but there's tons of others makes too (he loves Citroens, for example).
He likes having them around and they occasionally offer up parts (or become the next project!).

His body/metal skills are for real, he's very meticulous when needed, not so much when not - and very mechanically
inclined in general. He doesn't care if he doesn't leave his "compound" for days sometimes - he lives what
he does there and prefers it to much of anything else.
It's the sort of place I wish I lived near; I'd be very comfortable being an "agent", I think.

He and I have regularly corresponded over the years, by comments posted on his videos or emails or whatever...
but a few years back, he was at a crossroads with production of new stuff for the channel.
It takes a lot of time (which means $$$ to a self-employed guy like him) and the channel wasn't producing the
amount of views needed to make a living off of - so he was about to stop doing new stuff for the show and
go back to full-time body shop employment.

When he spoke of this to me, I urged him to at least try a Patreon account first; I thought (and still think) that
what he does on the channel matters to a lot of people, far beyond just documenting all the goofiness and
restoration work that goes on up there.
I said "what the hell, give it a whirl. If it fails then hey, at least you tried - but I'm guessing the support
will
be far greater from others than you think."
Scott being the humble sort didn't believe anyone much would support the channel that way...but he agreed reluctantly
to at least try.
Well, the rest is history...and the support came!

Despite next to zero help from the infamous YT "algorithm", the channel not only survived but support for it
was strong enough - maybe even stronger than I suspected, which is wonderful!
Scott was again humbled by all the support and it got to be enough for him to devote to doing full-time projects
and producing the content of the channel, something he spends countless hours on as the obligation to the
subscribers leads him to. He doesn't have to take on paying gigs anymore at all if he doesn't want to.

In the live chats and such, he always mentions to folks who it was that put the Patreon bug in his ear, too...
and that's my time to be humbled and grateful.
It's a serious "bucket list" thing that I somehow make my way up to visit CWM one day, it really is -
but the realist in me knows the likelihood of that at this point of my life isn't very high, especially given
that I don't fly....
That's ok - I'm just tickled that small group up in Androssan AB are still at it and sharing it with anyone who
watches - and I'm very proud of Scott, too.
His decision to go this route took a ton of courage and good things should happen to good guys...
at least sometimes anyways, right?

Ok, all of that to say this:
Scott is a Mopar guy, amongst other weird stuff. His favorites are the Fury from the late 50's/early 60's, along with big
ol' c-bodies from the early 70's. Another of the gang who also likes c-bodies is Myles, who has built more than a few BB
Mopar engines over time and currently owns one he's ressurected.
Myles likes to talk about an engines' lope with a big cam as having a "chop" to them; it's sort of a running gag on the
show and Scott often wonders what would happen if Myles and I got in the same room and yakked about big blocks. :)
Myles had asked in a live chat one day if I had anything online he could see/listen to on Fred (my '68 GTX) and Scott
immediately led him to my own pathetic YT channel....he wanted to hear Fred's "chop".
I posted a link to one of my videos on the Patreon "Community" page so Myles would be able to refer to it.

Next thing you know....it's Fred's 10 seconds of fame!
Scott has taken a small sample of one of my videos of Fred, then the same from a recent video featuring Myles' 383 and made
the "cold open" scene on the current CWM episode:

Lookit, none of this matters to much of anyone except those directly involved, I know - I ain't nobody, after all - but the huge
grin I got on my face when I recognized Fred's sound on that cold open lasted quite a while anyways.
Even better, my wife immediately recognized Fred's sound when she happened by my computer when I was watching the
video, too!!

It really is the little things in life, isn't it?

What time marker Ed?

What time marker Ed?

I think Myles took me in that race by the way.... :)

Hey, I’m typically down for an “Ed Time Story”.
I budget to have to put my thinking cap on and pay attention.
Sometimes I save the threads to watch them later when I carve out some free time.
Lopy? Choppy? Whatever you call it on your side of the globe, the more it sounds like it’s gonna stall at idle the badder it is IMO.

Fred sounds pretty sweet there Ed :thumbsup:

I’ll be adding Scott’s channel to my YT subscription and check him out. Thanks for sharing.

Hey, I’m typically down for an “Ed Time Story”.
I budget to have to put my thinking cap on and pay attention.
Sometimes I save the threads to watch them later when I carve out some free time.
Lopy? Choppy? Whatever you call it on your side of the globe, the more it sounds like it’s gonna stall at idle the badder it is IMO.

Fred sounds pretty sweet there Ed :thumbsup:

I’ll be adding Scott’s channel to my YT subscription and check him out. Thanks for sharing.
You're very kind, my friend. Thank you. :)

Cold War motors is my favorite car show. Scott is super talented and the show has no drama which is rare these days. Lol.

Cold War motors is my favorite car show. Scott is super talented and the show has no drama which is rare these days. Lol.
True dat!
There's no manufactured drama or trumped up "personalities" at CWM - what you see is who they are.
The circle of good friends Scott has are amazing to witness - no pettiness or negativity is allowed.
They all help one another with their projects, no compensation expected - and CWM has become all
of their communal HQ.
As irreverant and laid back as it is around there, I do believe they understand what is being done and
documented matters - and to their chagrin, it matters even to some of those who only watch the show.

Just saw this thread -
I've been watching CWM for years. Scott is incredibly talented, and seems like a really cool guy!
His compound is represented on my toolbox. @moparedtn if you ever drive up there, pick me up along the way, we can split the fuel costs. It would be awesome to check out all his cars and meet some of the Agents!

IMG_1109.jpg

Exactly. I also noticed how grateful Scott is to everyone that stops by to help or show him their car, etc.
He sometimes shows things that people have sent him in the mail as gifts, etc and he always seems blown away by the kindness of others and makes sure to thank them profusely on the show.
I like the show partly just because he seems like a really nice dude.
And his fab skills are fun to watch too.
I can’t watch any of these shows anymore where all they do is bicker and try to goad one another into fights

Boring with a capital B. Lol.

Just saw this thread -
I've been watching CWM for years. Scott is incredibly talented, and seems like a really cool guy!
His compound is represented on my toolbox. @moparedtn if you ever drive up there, pick me up along the way, we can split the fuel costs. It would be awesome to check out all his cars and meet some of the Agents!

View attachment 1412588
Hey, I rock one of those on the back window of Fred himself. :thumbsup:
As far as visiting Androssan goes, yeah that's a bucket list thing - and he keeps asking me
when I'm going to drive Fred up for a visit. :lol:
Yeah, maybe with a fuel tanker and support vehicle following...
It's a nice thing to dream about, though. Darn nice of him to ask.

Exactly. I also noticed how grateful Scott is to everyone that stops by to help or show him their car, etc.
He sometimes shows things that people have sent him in the mail as gifts, etc and he always seems blown away by the kindness of others and makes sure to thank them profusely on the show.
I like the show partly just because he seems like a really nice dude.
And his fab skills are fun to watch too.
I can’t watch any of these shows anymore where all they do is bicker and try to goad one another into fights

Boring with a capital B. Lol.
Agree. It's the SOP on all those Discover-owned tv networks on their "reality" shows:
The art of the manufactured drama. Yuck....
Scott's the real deal, as are the other "Agents".
As I've often mentioned to him, I could hang there quite comfortably; they're my kind of folks.

I'm lovin that '37... really happy to see him getting that thing together quick :)

I'm lovin that '37... really happy to see him getting that thing together quick :)
That thing is a real sweetheart.
You know, it's amazing to me the amount of cool old cars right around where they are up there!

Auto Transport Service
Back