• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock 1406 giving me headaches

...or post 8.

Ya can't put brains in statues......

[1] If it floods with 5.5 psi pressure, then there is some other problem. Like n/s leaking/damaged/loose/floats rubbing or binding/floats leaking/etc......
[2] Inline regulators are used with high output pressure pumps, reqd for high HP engines. Like the Carter 4601 pump, 16 psi. These high pressure pumps are needed for drag cars to compensate for the pressure loss due to G force acceleration.
[3] The Carter 4594 pump has for decades supplied fuel to 000s of Carter & Edel carbs...that are not flooding. Rated at 7 psi.

Think about it, how many untold millions of carbureted cars were produced prior to 1980, for example, that were factory equipped with a fuel pressure regulator?

Zero?

One of Motors Manuals covers 1959 to 1966 cars. It lists fuel pump pressure specs. 426 Hemi 6-9 psi. Chev 409 7 1/4 to 8 1/2 psi.

All were Carter AFB carbs. If you sit an Carter AFB top next to a Edel top, & compare the floats, fuel inlet system, they are IDENTICAL.

The Carter design was perfect & did not need changing....

Get the power wire off the coil.
Hook it up to your ign1 feed.
This is correct. Never run the choke power off the coil! What I do is take the power from the windshield wiper “park” feed. Then it’s out of the ignition circuit altogether.

Well, From my experience, the Edelbrocks don't have .093 seats. Seems like all the kits now a day have the .110 and even larger seats. Mopar carter in the performance era used .1015 seats. So Edelbrock recommends a lower pressure because of the larger seats. Additionally, the floats are smaller. We been through this before. Smaller floats, larger seats, means much higher fuel level for the same fuel pressure.

Edel may have changed to larger n/seats at some point; but they originally used 093. Off road 093 n/s #1465 were available as well as 110 high flow n/seats, #1466.

all the edelbrocks i've used, taken apart, or rebuilt had .093" needle and seats. the exception to that is the 800's. the old carter high performance had .101" needle and seats. that being said the .093" are still available and the last kits i bought had .093" in them. there does seem to be a change in needles. i can't find the smaller red tip needles anymore but the larger black tip seems to work fine on a .093" seat. all 600's should have the .093's with small floats.

I went an checked my old edelbrock instruction manual and yes they were .0935 seats stock. But it also said fuel pressure MINIMUM 4.5 to 5 psi.

Having said that and collected a lot of vintage rebuild kits for carter, by various manufacturers including current new one, they almost all come with oversized seat at .110.

So if a carb has been rebuilt recently, unless you used an OEM Edelbrock kit, I would think chances are the seats are larger. Too many have just gone generic with kits.

Today I buttoned up the fuel line. Pressure regulator and gauge. I set it between 4 1/2 - 5 psi. It seems to have worked. I took a long drive in the muggy New England heat. 1 1/2 hour trip each way. No issues.

Today I buttoned up the fuel line. Pressure regulator and gauge. I set it between 4 1/2 - 5 psi. It seems to have worked. I took a long drive in the muggy New England heat. 1 1/2 hour trip each way. No issues.
Have any pictures of that set up?

Thank you. Having some issues myself.

IMG_4320.JPG

IMG_4321.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back