• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock 1913 ( AVS2 800 )

Houle #382

Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my carb on my Mild built 440, just wonder if anyone has purchased this carb and what type of performance improvements did it give you.

I ran one on a stroked 400 (451) and it performed well. Had a little flat spot and would split second fall on its face when winding it out in 1rst gear after a launch (4spd.) but would pull hard thereafter. Didn’t really have a chance to tune that out of it as I sold the car.

I’m not sure that it performed any better or worse than a Holley or similar.

I ran one on a stroked 400 (451) and it performed well. Had a little flat spot and would split second fall on its face when winding it out in 1rst gear after a launch (4spd.) but would pull hard thereafter. Didn’t really have a chance to tune that out of it as I sold the car.

I’m not sure that it performed any better or worse than a Holley or similar.
Thanks, a change in the step-up spring or an adjustment to the Secondary Air Valve most likely would have eliminated that flat spot. Too late now though lol

Thanks, a change in the step-up spring or an adjustment to the Secondary Air Valve most likely would have eliminated that flat spot. Too late now though lol
I did change step-up springs, and the air valve was okay, had it jetted fairly accurately on the run in/dyno stand, it was already healthily into the secondary and would then flatten out and pick up again right away, kind of like it was running out fuel but it wasn’t. Had high volume Carter style pump on it, might have been an edelbrock but can’t remember right now, pressures remained okay. Really want sure what it was.

Cruising around and the occasional mashing the throttle to the floor it was good.

I went to single 4 bbl on my 472 Hemi 65. Being a street car only the AVS2 800 worked very well.
Took away a mid range surge during cruising speeds that was present with the AFB 750 that I had started out with.

Looking to upgrade my carb on my Mild built 440, just wonder if anyone has purchased this carb and what type of performance improvements did it give you.
Don’t you run the 650 AVS 2 ? I thought you where happy with that when we talked if my memory

Anyways 1912/1913 are identical inside

I bought one when they first came out years ago 1912

Don’t install without popping the top and checking float level and baffles

Don’t know how their quality control is today but was not impressed years ago , and if I would have installed it out of the box probably wouldn’t have ran

Initial impression was pretty damn impressive - Especially idle quality , off idle acceleration and cruise

With that said , once I got it dialed in off plug color and playing still running it today with zero issues

Wouldn’t even consider another Edelbrock or Carter - I have played with factory Carters 4640 4968 6125 blah blah and have gotten them to run very well - Great carbs honestly , I had a Carter AVS 4640 dialed in pretty damn well before installing this Edelbrock 1912

On the other hand

You couldn’t give me a Edelbrock 1407/1411 other then a paper weight

Today Edelbrock 1912 AVS 2

Completely removed all manual choke hardware
This motor starts and idles flawlessly even when dead cold

Replaced 104 Mains with 101 Mains
Factory 65/52 Metering Rods

Orange 5 to Pink 7 inch springs

Factory Secondary 104 Jets

Never touched the AVS Door Spring

Played with float levels some , higher - Went back to factory settings

Pretty sure idle mixture screws out around 1.5 Turns

Will destroy the tires off idle 700 Rpm’s from GRB to ORD

Honestly just flawless response and idle characteristics

383/432 Stroker - Edelbrock E Street 75cc Heads - Comp XE 275 HL - 10.5 to 1 Comp.
16 initial - 18 mechanical - All in by 2200 Rpm’s - Vacuum advance

Just pulled the spark plugs yesterday getting the car out of winter storage - Wanted to do a quick check and compression test - 200 psi cold cranking still on all eight after six summers

She runs

IMG_1789.jpeg

Last edited:
Don’t you run the 650 AVS 2 ? I thought you where happy with that when we talked if my memory

Anyways 1912/1913 are identical inside

I bought one when they first came out years ago 1912

Don’t install without popping the top and checking float level and baffles

Don’t know how their quality control is today but was not impressed years ago , and if I would have installed it out of the box probably wouldn’t have ran

Initial impression was pretty damn impressive - Especially idle quality , off idle acceleration and cruise

With that said , once I got it dialed in off plug color and playing still running it today with zero issues

Wouldn’t even consider another Edelbrock or Carter - I have played with factory Carters 4640 4968 6125 blah blah and have gotten them to run very well - Great carbs honestly , I had a Carter AVS 4640 dialed in pretty damn well before installing this Edelbrock 1912

On the other hand

You couldn’t give me a Edelbrock 1407/1411 other then a paper weight

Today Edelbrock 1912 AVS 2

Completely removed all manual choke hardware
This motor starts and idles flawlessly even when dead cold

Replaced 104 Mains with 101 Mains
Factory 65/52 Metering Rods

Orange 5 to Pink 7 inch springs

Factory Secondary 104 Jets

Never touched the AVS Door Spring

Played with float levels some , higher - Went back to factory settings

Pretty sure idle mixture screws out around 1.5 Turns

Will destroy the tires off idle 700 Rpm’s from GRB to ORD

Honestly just flawless response and idle characteristics

383/432 Stroker - Edelbrock E Street 75cc Heads - Comp XE 275 HL - 10.5 to 1 Comp.
16 initial - 18 mechanical - All in by 2200 Rpm’s - Vacuum advance

Just pulled the spark plugs yesterday getting the car out of winter storage - Wanted to do a quick check and compression test - 200 psi cold cranking still on all eight after six summers

She runs

View attachment 1649970
Yes I had the 650 AVS2 on it but have made some upgrades to the 440, I now have a set of aluminum heads and a competition components .600 lift intake and .584 exhaust hydraulic roller cam [email protected] of 235 intake 250 exhaust. The 650 ran very well with the stock heads and the flat tappet cam I had just don't think the 650 will be enough with the upgrades, the weather hasn't been good enough to get the car out to see how it would run with the 650. I'm running the stock distributor but bought a FBO box so I could eliminate the chrome box I had and the ballast resistor. The FBO box is great with a built in rev limiter. Had the 4 speed rebuilt and bought a new Hurst Comp plus shift mech. as I wasn't sure how old the one was that was in the car as it didn't shift very well and I also installed a pistol grip shifter. Waiting for some good weather !

The Edel 800 carbs are simply amazing. Carter did not make a 800 AFB, 750 was the largest. Edel increased the cfm by going 1/16" bigger in the t/bores.
I had the 800 AFB on my GTO. 3.08 axle, man valve body T350, 10" low stall c'ter. In top gear, at walking speed, I could go to WOT & the car would pick the nose up & goooo.... Never a flat spot or a problem.

The 800cfm AVS2 is my plan for Fred's 440 as well; everything I've seen on them online is positive
as far as reviews and such go. Glad to see some of you like it as well.
With the 440 in Fred being quite tame (other than the usual purpleshaft cam and headers, etc.)
I'm hoping the AVS2 will prove to be close to a bolt on affair out of the box.

I have a friend who has a 427 corvette with an earlier 800avs carb. I had to do some recalibration on the carb but after all that I'd have to say the carb is an overachiever.

For a stock type 440 I prefer the factory avs, but the edelbrock carb isn't a poor choice.

I remember the original Edelbrock AVS 800 - I think they called it the Thunder Series or something when they first came out

The factory calibration was not good

These AVS 2 Carbs with the Annular Boosters are in a different league as far as factory calibration and drive ability

These AVS 2 Carbs with the Annular Boosters are in a different league as far as factory calibration and drive ability
Agreed, This gives a better driveability thru the throttle range.

Auto Transport Service
Back