• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock AVS2 on stock dual-plane 383 manifold

rdstudio

Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
Hello

I want to replace my stock Carter AVS on 69 Charger 383 with Edelbrock AVS2.

My question is, if it will fit without any problems?

My manifold is stock dual plane like this one

On Carter I also have 1/4 inch spacer but I think it will not fit AVS2 so I need to buy new one with 4 bigger openings for AVS2.
Planning on buying this one :

Also AVS2 have electric choke. Should I plug my manifold choke well or leave it open light that?

Hello

[/URL]

[/URL]

On Carter I also have 1/4 inch spacer but I think it will not fit AVS2 so I need to buy new one with 4 bigger openings for AVS2.
[/URL]

Also AVS2 have electric choke. Should I plug my manifold choke well or leave it open light that?
First question......WHY replace the origional Carter AVS carb?? Just rebuilt it and perhaps recalibrate it for today's available fuel and recurve the distributor for a faster rate of advance. Or, perhsps you are being misled by your "buddies" who think the EDELBROCK AVS2 is better.....for what ever reason (mostly unfounded)......annular secondary booster venturii not withstanding.
Now, with the AVS2, an electric choke is required; the origional AVS used a hot air well type divorced choke. Adapter plates are never a good idea, as they cause an additional flow loss due to preliminary pressure loss (due to expansion and mixture velocity slow down) and introduce additional turbulence plus the possibly or vacuum leaks at the gasket interfaces. Other's think the AVS2 design is the answer to all issues....but it will need to be "tuned" to your specific requirements...so why not just rebuild the origional Carter AVS.......AND you save several $$$$$. Just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

First question......WHY replace the origional Carter AVS carb?? Just rebuilt it and perhaps recalibrate it for today's available fuel and recurve the distributor for a faster rate of advance. Or, perhsps you are being misled by your "buddies" who think the EDELBROCK AVS2 is better.....for what ever reason (mostly unfounded)......annular secondary booster venturii not withstanding.
Now, with the AVS2, an electric choke is required; the origional AVS used a hot air well type divorced choke. Adapter plates are never a good idea, as they cause an additional flow loss due to preliminary pressure loss (due to expansion and mixture velocity slow down) and introduce additional turbulence plus the possibly or vacuum leaks at the gasket interfaces. Other's think the AVS2 design is the answer to all issues....but it will need to be "tuned" to your specific requirements...so why not just rebuild the origional Carter AVS.......AND you save several $$$$$. Just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON
if it's leaking around the throttle shaft it will be harder to rebuild. i take it you're not impressed with your avs2 carb ?

if it's leaking around the throttle shaft it will be harder to rebuild. i take it you're not impressed with your avs2 carb ?
Not necessarily.....throttle shaft bores can be re-bushed or slightly oversized throttle shafts can be used. The AVS2 is an adaptation of the origional AVS design.....reputed to provide better secondary mixture emulsufaction.....i like Holley carbs but that just personal. My RS23V0A 1970 GTX uses Holley.....easy to tune and reliable. Use the rebuilder/restorer on this site....he offers a discount......
BOB RENTON

Should be a simple bolt on, throttle lever may need the Mopar adapter.

Rebuilding the stock carb is very simple. Fuel coming out the sides of the shafts may be a float level or fuel pressure problem; definitely not worth buying a new carb for.

Hello

Yes the AVS2 carburetor will fit an original intake manifold, and the spacer will also fit both carburetors.

The AVS2 is really an AFB carb.

Slipping again there Bob.......
It is the primary boosters that are annular in the AVS2, not the secondaries....

Rd,
The 650 AVS2 would be an excellent choice. You may NOT need an adapter....
The primary bores are 1 7/16", same as the stock AVS. The secondaries are 1/16" bigger at 1 3/4".
Sometimes the bore openings in the intake are slightly larger, allowing direct bolt on.
If not, & I was fitting the AVS2, I would remove the intake & open up the sec bores slightly with a rotary burr or file. Only cost is an intake gasket....might be cheaper than a spacer.

So I made some measures (sorry for my metric values) and

my intake openings are 4 x 43 mm (1.69291339 inches)
and AVS2 secondaries are 44mm (1.73228346 inches)

I think 1 mm will not be an issue. I really dont want to take intake off and I like to have spacer for keeping heat off carb.

I also cannot find information what are openings on Edelbrock 8723 spacer.

Yes, the carb will likely fit without a spacer because the size difference between manifold & throttle blades is only 0.010" per side [ 0.25mm ]. You could just use a thick gasket; make sure nothing binds going to WOT once the carb bolts are tight. If you use a spacer, make sure it is a 2 or 4 hole spacer, not open. An open spacer compromises the dual plane design.

So I made some measures (sorry for my metric values) and

my intake openings are 4 x 43 mm (1.69291339 inches)
and AVS2 secondaries are 44mm (1.73228346 inches)

I think 1 mm will not be an issue. I really dont want to take intake off and I like to have spacer for keeping heat off carb.

I also cannot find information what are openings on Edelbrock 8723 spacer.
I've recently used that same Edelbrock spacer with a 650 AVS2 and the openings are definitely big enough.
Even if they are a smaller size diameter they still generally work (although you must check on the bench first) as the diameter of the blades is always slightly smaller than the actual opening to allow them space to open and close. Couple that with the round shape and only maybe 1/3 of the blade actually protrudes into the bore of the spacer (or manifold if direct bolt on), then you should have no issues.

I can’t speak for the carburetor working on the intake, but I can speak for the avs2. It is an amazing carburetor, I had a Carter afb and went to the avs2, night and day difference. All the voodoo edelbrock talks about with all the fancy tweaks, it’s true, it atomizes the fuel better, throttle response is great, no bog, no hesitation. Those that think it’s just edelbrocks version of the Carter design have no idea what they’re talking about. The edelbrock preformer might be that, but the avs2 is a completely different animal, and you’ll be very pleased with it

:thumbsup:

Thank you all for answers!
I have ordered AVS2 with throttle bracket for chrysler. I also read that they are great carburators - level up from performers.

What about choke well in manifold? Should I leave it open like that?

Yes, the carb will likely fit without a spacer because the size difference between manifold & throttle blades is only 0.010" per side [ 0.25mm ]. You could just use a thick gasket; make sure nothing binds going to WOT once the carb bolts are tight. If you use a spacer, make sure it is a 2 or 4 hole spacer, not open. An open spacer compromises the dual plane design.
an opener spacer helps 75% of the time a 4-hole 10% of the time and will only help mostly for throttle responses and low rpm. that is right from Big Joe engine masters king and dyno king who was testing spacers since he was 16 years old.

an opener spacer helps 75% of the time a 4-hole 10% of the time and will only help mostly for throttle responses and low rpm. that is right from Big Joe engine masters king and dyno king who was testing spacers since he was 16 years old.
Edelbrock agrees with you and big Joe.
Just look at the carb opening on an RPM manifold.

Comparing apples to oranges. The RPM power range is 1500-6500 rpm.
The OP has a stock intake that has a lower rpm peak......& it doesn't have the divider cut down.
It sounds like the OP wants to replace his factory carb & get a little more oomph. I say that because he is not changing cams, adding headers etc. He has a heavy car with a 383, not a 440. Open spacers usually add top end hp, but often reduce low end tq.
Might be that the OP actually wants improved throttle response/low end tq, which would be a reason for using the AVS2 with annular boosters........

Might be that the OP actually wants improved throttle response/low end tq, which would be a reason for using the AVS2 with annular boosters......
i was running a 750 edel with 2.94 gears that ran great. every so often off the line it would hesitate if the intake wasn't heated fully no big deal. wanted to try the 800 AVS2 big difference off the line and at lower rpms i would say 30 HP or TQ difference not sure which one. not much if any difference in mid range power and a little more power after 5000 rpms.

Last edited:
The little ol 625 Carter AVS. Fitted to the 340. The 340 also had the 800 CFM TQ. Which do you think was quicker?

In Jan 1969, height of the muscle car era, Car & Driver tested the econo racers. No frills cars. Two Ferds, 383 Dodge, Hemi, Chev 396. Cars were rigorously checked to make sure they were stock; Pontiac was disqualified for cheating.
1/4 mile times. Hemi was quickest. Next was a 428 Ford 13.94, it had a 3.91 axle.
Both the 383 Super Bee & 428 Cobra ran 14.04. Both had 3.5 axles. Chev 396 ran 14.41.

383 had the 625 Carter AVS.....& no annular boosters!!!!!! Chev had 750/800 cfm QJ. Fords had 715 cfm Holley....

In Jan 1969, height of the muscle car era, Car & Driver tested the econo racers. No frills cars. Two Ferds, 383 Dodge, Hemi, Chev 396. Cars were rigorously checked to make sure they were stock; Pontiac was disqualified for cheating.
1/4 mile times. Hemi was quickest. Next was a 428 Ford 13.94, it had a 3.91 axle.
Both the 383 Super Bee & 428 Cobra ran 14.04. Both had 3.5 axles. Chev 396 ran 14.41.

383 had the 625 Carter AVS.....& no annular boosters!!!!!! Chev had 750/800 cfm QJ. Fords had 715 cfm Holley....
383 Super Bee was the lightest on the test by between 95 and 173 lbs and had a dual point distributor and a 2.5" exhaust when the factory specs were single point and 2.25"....

383 Super Bee was 4th out of 6th in the acceleration tests....

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story...

Auto Transport Service
Back