• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EEC - Electronic Evaporative Control Gas Tank?

jmpric

Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
I've got a '68 Coronet, of which I'm planning to change the gas tank to a '68 Charger tank, with the filler tube running out the side of the tank to the top of the rear quarter. My question is this: I'm assuming I don't need a tank with EEC, since I believe that didn't originate until 1970 or '71. Is that correct?

Check inside your trunk on top of the passenger side inner wheel well. If there is a metal tube(approx. 2 1/2"-3" in diameter) on top of the inner well, then you would need a tank with EEC(Evaporative Emission Control).

If no tube is present on the inner well, you do not need the EEC version of the tank.

It is possible that pre '70 model years could have the EEC tank, especially if the plant of manufacture is Los Angeles.

If you have an EEC in there now, you could just do away with it.

That's what I would do...That's what I did. The EEC (or E.C.S), just runs extra vents from the tank into the "vapor separator" (tube in the trunk) then sucks the vapor up to the engine breather so as to not vent the toxic fumes that are destroying our earth! Mostly just California cars got that set up, and I don't know when it started. It doesn't sound like youre doing an all stock restoration, so its up to you.

As a side note; If anybody wants an original E.C.S.tank, I have one in good shape I would make a great deal on.

That's what I would do...That's what I did. The EEC (or E.C.S), just runs extra vents from the tank into the "vapor separator" (tube in the trunk) then sucks the vapor up to the engine breather so as to not vent the toxic fumes that are destroying our earth! Mostly just California cars got that set up, and I don't know when it started. It doesn't sound like youre doing an all stock restoration, so its up to you.
Yeah, it's a resto-mod for sure. And me living in CA, I hope they don't ever decide to smog-check these old cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back