• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fuel Pump Location with Full Exhaust

I have mine in the diff hump on my duster. I wasn't real cool with it on the back bumper area due to if you were to get rearended God forbid. No clearance problems. Good luck.

Same way mines done. I contemplated this for 3 weeks and it is the only way without it hanging down with exhaust running down the frame rails.

yep but it works great. I had to pressure up the tank to fill the filter initally but the pump primes off the filter canister now,no problem. Its feeding a 1150 dominator on a 500. Only option I had unless I wanted it to hang below the bumper which aint cool on a street car.

Thanks again for those great pictures! My Mallory is feeding a 850 Holley on a 446. How did you pressure up the tank initially?

rear fuel pump

Ok snakeoil24, I would love to see your street roadrunner or similar b-body with factory tank and stock pickup with filler neck in place and that electric fuel pump and canister fuel filter mounted behind that tank. Do you have pictures? How far down does it hang? Seems to be really unsafe but lets see a picture. Somebody please post a picture of this example. NO fuel cells, NO sumps, NO race cars.
send me an email and I will send a few pics and measurements of the bracket for you. Merry Christmas, the electric fuel pump is a pain in the but, I know

Or, could you post? Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!!

70 RR.

In front of the tank, above the rearend. Plenty of room.

Holley red, original tank and sump.

Dave

In front of the tank and above the differential is where the pump and filter are going. It is a street car with stock tank and pickup in place. I want to thank everyone who chimed in on this! Happy New Year!!!

Good replies from everyone, and good info! But.... the thought of an electric fuel pump in a street/strip car, without some kind of automatic cut-off in case of accident, scares me. At least, some relay wiring is in order. In the modern FI cars, the FI system is pressurized during cranking, and once the ECU sees the motor is running, it keeps the pump on. It shuts the fuel pump off if the engine stalls, unless it "see's" other inputs for a re-start. Call me "over-cautious", but it is something worth considering.

That is a very valid point to consider. I only have a toggle switch to activate and deactivate the pump. Thanks

yep but it works great. I had to pressure up the tank to fill the filter initally but the pump primes off the filter canister now,no problem. Its feeding a 1150 dominator on a 500. Only option I had unless I wanted it to hang below the bumper which aint cool on a street car.

I'm not sure what you meant by pressurizing the tank but I had to raise the rear of the car really high before the fuel pump began pumping fuel. It is working great now that the lines are full.

Update; I relocated the electric pump and cannister filter then went to the exhaust shop. The gentleman working there tells me he has to weld the tailpipes to the mufflers and that just clamping them on would leak really bad. I then decided I didn't need tailpipes because I like the convenience of being able to remove the exhaust totally when changing rear gearing or to freshen up the 727 torque flite. This is a street/strip roadrunner with 3 inch exhaust.
Do any of you run 3 inch exhaust all the way out and have the tailpipes clamped to the mufflers for easy removal?

Believe me, I've done quite a few over the years. Up in the floor hump, in the middle on the vertical surface above the pinion snubber.

Update; I relocated the electric pump and cannister filter then went to the exhaust shop. The gentleman working there tells me he has to weld the tailpipes to the mufflers and that just clamping them on would leak really bad. I then decided I didn't need tailpipes because I like the convenience of being able to remove the exhaust totally when changing rear gearing or to freshen up the 727 torque flite. This is a street/strip roadrunner with 3 inch exhaust.
Do any of you run 3 inch exhaust all the way out and have the tailpipes clamped to the mufflers for easy removal?

What a crock of ****:puke:I have a 4 inch system with tailplpes going into the mufflers with band clamp.I also use band clamps where the pipe slides onto my collectors.If you use the U-clamp,it dimples the pipe and makes it VERY difficult to R&R the tail pipes.The hangers holds & supports the system.

Attachments

• 4110FMT64DL__SL250_.jpg
    4110FMT64DL__SL250_.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 307
  • 5_10_08_al_exhaust_022.JPG
    5_10_08_al_exhaust_022.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 322
  • 5_10_08_al_exhaust_015.JPG
    5_10_08_al_exhaust_015.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 305
  • 5_10_08_al_exhaust_002.JPG
    5_10_08_al_exhaust_002.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1838.jpg
    IMG_1838.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 338
Thank you very much Hemi-Itis!!!! Where did you get those band clamps?

You have been very helpful!!! Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back