• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fuel Pump Location with Full Exhaust

ykf7b0

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
I currently use an electric fuel pump and cannister filter that are mounted on the inner side of the frame rail on the passenger side near the factory gas tank on my 69 roadrunner. I have exhaust turn downs located just in front of the rear axle housing and the fumes are starting to really annoy me. I am going to get some tailpipes and run the exhaust all the way out. I know I will have to relocate my electric fuel pump and filter to another location because the passenger side tailpipe will occupy that space. My question is, where do you locate your electric pump with full exhaust?

Last edited:
Behind the gas tank

No room there. It's a factory tank and I'm going to keep it in place. The only place I can see they might go is in front of the tank and above the differential housing but I'm not sure I have the clearance.

I am soooooo much happy'r with taipipes!!!I believe there IS room in the diff hump or even inside the trunk.What pump & filter are you using and what HP range are you in???

Attachments

• IMG_1840.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,173
No room there. It's a factory tank and I'm going to keep it in place. The only place I can see they might go is in front of the tank and above the differential housing but I'm not sure I have the clearance.

This is where i put mine.

I have mine in the old filler neck location - center rear. You can sort of see it in this picture. It's a holley HP150 mounted vertically in the well where the filler neck used to go into the tank. Sort of tucked up out of the way and yet still low enough to have the inlet below the lowest point of the fuel cell.

SDC11125.jpg

Are you using the stock pick up in the tank??

This car is a 69 roadrunner and the factory tank mounts to the bottom of the trunk pan. It has a factory pick up and NO aftermarket sump welded in. The pump is a Mallory and the cannister type filter is a Fram. Horsepower is 434 at the rear wheels on motor and just over 600hp on the bottle. Total street car that is driven hundred's of miles regulary on pump gas. This is not a caged race car with alot of aftermarket parts.

I don't think you understand that I have the factory tank with filler neck in place. If I made a bracket and mounted in front of the rear bumper the pump, filter and lines would be hanging low.

You don't have a roadrunner with a factory tank.

I,ve got a coronet with a factory tank. Not a lot of difference.

Attachments

• fuel pump 001 (Large).jpg
    fuel pump 001 (Large).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,236
  • fuel pump 002 (Large).jpg
    fuel pump 002 (Large).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,208
  • fuel pump 003 (Large).jpg
    fuel pump 003 (Large).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,183
  • fuel pump 004 (Large).jpg
    fuel pump 004 (Large).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,230
  • fuel pump 011 (Large).jpg
    fuel pump 011 (Large).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,165
Isn't that in front of the tank above the differential?

yep but it works great. I had to pressure up the tank to fill the filter initally but the pump primes off the filter canister now,no problem. Its feeding a 1150 dominator on a 500. Only option I had unless I wanted it to hang below the bumper which aint cool on a street car.

That is a very nice job! Everyone else was suggesting that I mount the pump behind the tank in front of the rear bumper and I totally misunderstood your initial comment. You are exactly right in your suggestion and thanks for the pictures! Merry Christmas!!!!!

cceleration force drives the gas backward in the tank and lines. Also avoid uising alumnum gas line and avoid putting in your trunk unless you plan on installing a firewall be hind the rear seat. Fires and explosion risks will out weigh any other reason. You have room behind the tank if you make a bracket lke thousands of other people have done.

Ok snakeoil24, I would love to see your street roadrunner or similar b-body with factory tank and stock pickup with filler neck in place and that electric fuel pump and canister fuel filter mounted behind that tank. Do you have pictures? How far down does it hang? Seems to be really unsafe but lets see a picture. Somebody please post a picture of this example. NO fuel cells, NO sumps, NO race cars.

Last edited:
I have mine in the diff hump on my duster. I wasn't real cool with it on the back bumper area due to if you were to get rearended God forbid. No clearance problems. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back