• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fuel pump suggestions.

I have the Tanks Inc. setup with the wallbro pump for the last 5 years. A 472 Hemi gen 2, but can't afford long trips now, due to the gas prices and **** gas mileage. I've had 2 4bbls and fuel injection and the pump has been very good. Pump in tank keeps noise to a minimum and also keeps it cool being in the gas. Even with the 2 carbs would start right up after sitting a few weeks. Can't beat an electric pump.

If you want to go to an electric pump that's cool, just be wary of the electrical needs. A relay feeding solid power to the pump, triggered by your switched power source is a good add.
Another thought, since you're adding a return line anyway, have you considered trying just that with a separator and your mechanical pump, similar to the factory setup? Might save you a few bucks if it cures the issue. If not, on with the electric pump plan..

Go with a Tanks Inc & Walbro pump. they are very good , also intank the fuel keeps the pump cool, I have seen many pumps fail that are on the outside of tank,,,,, NO IF ANDS or BUTS LOL :) when I was carbed I ran a 255lph pump, I now have a 460lph Hellcat pump.
17835229_1339129466145759_9203901915455270371_o.jpg

If you want to go to an electric pump that's cool, just be wary of the electrical needs. A relay feeding solid power to the pump, triggered by your switched power source is a good add.
Another thought, since you're adding a return line anyway, have you considered trying just that with a separator and your mechanical pump, similar to the factory setup? Might save you a few bucks if it cures the issue. If not, on with the electric pump plan..
Yeap, well aware of the electrical needs. I've pondered doing as you mentioned but if boiling fuel in the bowls ever rears it's ugly head again I'm covered if I go electric.

Yeap, well aware of the electrical needs. I've pondered doing as you mentioned but if boiling fuel in the bowls ever rears it's ugly head again I'm covered if I go electric.
I used 2 factory 3/8 lines

As long as you have a return system.

It's really tough to figure out what is causing the issue. It sounds like you have insulated and or isolated the fuel lines away from hot headers and exhaust and added a insulator under the carb. A return system would be the next logical step. Do you have any engine photos we could see?

I would go with an in tank unit and I beleive the Tanks Inc ,Aeromotive accept or use a factory style pump so if you have problems with the after market you could mount an OE pump to the bracket.
As far as having a return, the fuel is circulating so it has less time to heat up.
Also, I installed an impact switch to kill the control circuit feeding the relay that serves the pump in case of an accident, thye make oil pressure switches that will do the same thing.
I have a fuse block, the inertia switch and pump relay mounted to my battery box, it feeds my relay and audio equipment , so I didnt have to run from the engine bay. compartment

20200102_185516.jpg

Last edited:
Made in Oklahoma DeatschWerks electric pump in the tank has an impeller vs Walbro vane style pump. They are whisper quiet. I have one on my El Camino.

It's really tough to figure out what is causing the issue. It sounds like you have insulated and or isolated the fuel lines away from hot headers and exhaust and added a insulator under the carb. A return system would be the next logical step. Do you have any engine photos we could see?
Can't really see much.
20160424_021452.jpg
20160424_021508.jpg

A pump in the tank is the best way to go. But that said I have been running a Holley black pump since 2012 and ran a Holley red pump from 2006 until I went to the black pump. My sons Dart has ran a Holley red pump from 1997 until 2019 when he went to EFI. Only one time did a pump act up on my sons Dart. Myself I like running just the electric pump and dont waste my time with a mech pump where the fuel line has to run near the block. With just electric I keep the fuel line away from as much eng heat as I can and with a phenolic spacer , moving the fuel line so most is not in the eng area and a smaller 9" air cleaner fixed my fuel boiling problems as I run 92 pump all the time in my car. Also I only have a 3/8 fuel line and with the Holley red pump my car ran in the 10.70's at almost 125 mph so it was pushing enough fuel for my one 850 carb. I actually have a spare electric fuel pump I keep in my trunk but I have never needed it. Ron

A pump in the tank is the best way to go. But that said I have been running a Holley black pump since 2012 and ran a Holley red pump from 2006 until I went to the black pump. My sons Dart has ran a Holley red pump from 1997 until 2019 when he went to EFI. Only one time did a pump act up on my sons Dart. Myself I like running just the electric pump and dont waste my time with a mech pump where the fuel line has to run near the block. With just electric I keep the fuel line away from as much eng heat as I can and with a phenolic spacer , moving the fuel line so most is not in the eng area and a smaller 9" air cleaner fixed my fuel boiling problems as I run 92 pump all the time in my car. Also I only have a 3/8 fuel line and with the Holley red pump my car ran in the 10.70's at almost 125 mph so it was pushing enough fuel for my one 850 carb. I actually have a spare electric fuel pump I keep in my trunk but I have never needed it. Ron
I agree, if the goal is to end every single possibility then that line will not be beside the block anymore. I didn't realize how tough those little Holley pumps were, that's pretty impressive.

I went with the complete system from tanks inc. and it has worked flawlessly for me up to this point, I am running an EFI set up but premise is that same I have an external regulator up by the motor with a return line and intank pump. I would recommend getting a fuel injection tank it has additional baffles to hold fuel around the fuel pick up during acceleration.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/...ct_id=484/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd484.htm

View attachment 1201934 View attachment 1201935 View attachment 1201936
Think I'll go this route, they're showing the tank being out of stock until February but I likey wouldn't buy it anyhow. I've got a new tank on the shelf, won't be hard at all to make the appropriate mods and buy the sending unit and pump. Did you put one of those access doors in the trunk, that looks like a great idea.

Think I'll go this route, they're showing the tank being out of stock until February but I likey wouldn't buy it anyhow. I've got a new tank on the shelf, won't be hard at all to make the appropriate mods and buy the sending unit and pump. Did you put one of those access doors in the trunk, that looks like a great idea.
I did not install a door. I figured I have a hoist and I am a 51 year old that's best described as "Athletic husky" its just easier for me to drop the tank than try to crawl into that trunk..... :lol::thumbsup:

I did not install a door. I figured I have a hoist and I am a 51 year old that's best described as "Athletic husky" its just easier for me to drop the tank than try to crawl into that trunk..... :lol::thumbsup:
You're probably right, I have a lift and there isn't much to dropping a tank but on the road it might be handy?

I did put the door in mine, don't know if the pump will come out that way LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back