• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fuel pump systems

Duran75

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:41 AM
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out the best way to set up my 70 Charger’s fuel pump system.

I would like to hear what others have done, and what works for them.

I’m building a 500 inch stroker motor, with carburetor…. I would like to go with holley’s sniper system but at this time my budget only allows for a carburetor system. With that being said, I’m going to install a fuel pump system that will support both systems.

I purchased a Aeromotive 11101 A1000 Fuel Pump. From what I have read, I should install a fuel pump control with it.

Thanks for all your advice in advance!!

Knowing what I know now and what was not available when I started my project I would do this. Get the tank with the pump in it. Run the lines and wire it. Now I would find a way to dig deep and buy the EFI system. Myself I would do this and not look back. Every time I tried to stay on budget I failed. Then on top of it when I was done I wished I would of done it right and the way it should of been from the start. In the end when you weigh all the if's and butt's I could of done it the way I wanted for not much more.

I personally don't see the big deal with FI. A good carb system works well and is much cheaper. As a guy who has worked with factory FI since it's inception. If there's an electronic glitch it's tough for the average guy to diagnose. Most of these cars don't see enough miles to make it cost effective. Same with overdrive.
Doug

Last edited:
My GTX has 440/496. I run a Proform 850 double pumper. I run an in-tank aeromotive stealth 340. A new stock tank was modified to work with this pump. Regulator is Aeromotive 13204. Fuel lines are hard lines. Pressure side is 3/8 and return is 1/2. I use -6 and -8 AN fittings and hose to hook everything together. This system has been in the car for 10 years with no issues at all.

In my Charger (400/511) used a new FI tank from Tanks Inc with a Walbro 255 pump. You can get everything you need from tanks inc or just the tank and use any pump you want. The Charger has Sniper FI. Like the GTX I used hard line as much as possible. 3/8 pressure and 1/2 return with -6 and -8 AN fittings and hose to hook it all together. No issues with this system either but only got it running about 6 months ago.

If I had to do again I would not use a Tanks Inc setup. I don't like where their pump mount location is and you can only get this tank with 1/4 NPT fittings. I would modify a stock tank and use it. I'm not saying Tanks Inc sells a bad product, they offer good products and their service is excellent, but after doing both I prefer to go the other way. The picture is the tank for the GTX

When using an in-tank pump it is always better to run a return line. With a carb you should run a larger return than pressure. This is because most regulators adjust pressure on the return side. A larger line allows for more precise metering. With FI maybe not so much but I ran the larger return line on that car also.

Both of these cars make a lot of power. I have never had a fuel starvation 100_3488.JPG issue running the 3/8 pressure line

My GTX has 440/496. I run a Proform 850 double pumper. I run an in-tank aeromotive stealth 340. A new stock tank was modified to work with this pump. Regulator is Aeromotive 13204. Fuel lines are hard lines. Pressure side is 3/8 and return is 1/2. I use -6 and -8 AN fittings and hose to hook everything together. This system has been in the car for 10 years with no issues at all.

In my Charger (400/511) used a new FI tank from Tanks Inc with a Walbro 255 pump. You can get everything you need from tanks inc or just the tank and use any pump you want. The Charger has Sniper FI. Like the GTX I used hard line as much as possible. 3/8 pressure and 1/2 return with -6 and -8 AN fittings and hose to hook it all together. No issues with this system either but only got it running about 6 months ago.

If I had to do again I would not use a Tanks Inc setup. I don't like where their pump mount location is and you can only get this tank with 1/4 NPT fittings. I would modify a stock tank and use it. I'm not saying Tanks Inc sells a bad product, they offer good products and their service is excellent, but after doing both I prefer to go the other way. The picture is the tank for the GTX

When using an in-tank pump it is always better to run a return line. With a carb you should run a larger return than pressure. This is because most regulators adjust pressure on the return side. A larger line allows for more precise metering. With FI maybe not so much but I ran the larger return line on that car also.

Both of these cars make a lot of power. I have never had a fuel starvationView attachment 1438592 issue running the 3/8 pressure line
Thank you for Sharing!!

Both of these cars make a lot of power. I have never had a fuel starvationView attachment 1438592 issue running the 3/8 pressure line
Did you put any baffling?
Or did you use a fuel mat? Did you recote the inside of the tank or is that stainless?

There is no fuel mat in either tank. The fuel pumps in each tank are in an enclosure to ensure positive fuel flow in various conditions such as acceleration, deceleration, turns, etc. There is no sump; The pumps are sitting on the bottom of the tank. The GTX tank has only the pump enclosure. I don't remember on the TanksInc tank. There may be a few partitions in the tank. It's advertised as a FI tank I just don't remember. I put no coating in either tank. Neither tank is stainless.

I've been running a Holley black pump with 1/2" aluminum line to a deadhead Quickfuel regulator for about 10 years now with zero issues and plenty of fuel to run 10.91 @ 124 on pump 93.
Gus

Auto Transport Service
Back