• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Power Steering

Are these cars really 'that' difficult to turn? At any speed above 2-3 MPH, even manual steering requires minimal effort. There would always be that entity in the back of my mind, pushing the idea that the junkyard/eBay acquired electric steering may lock to the right or left; destroying my car. My 15' SRT has electric steering, and it's a great, well engineered solution; as discussed above. I've owned some of the best modern performance cars out their, why would anyone call someone 'silly' because they want something that the driver actually drives and can work on themselves?! In an ocean of plastic engine covers, hundreds of feet of wiring harnesses, and multitudes of sensors; the beauty of the classic cars are undeniable. I don't ever want my 69' Road Runner to give me the same feeling as my 15' SRT. My 69' has NEVER left me stranded, anywhere. I take that back, it shut off once about four years ago when a fuse link burned through going to my ignition box. Within ten minutes (eight to diagnose, and two to fix :eusa_whistle:), I was back on the road. My previous Z06, well, I recall at least six times it was on the flat bed (Corvette owners will never admit to a single instance however until they part ways)..

Finished!

IMG_9179.JPG IMG_9230.JPG IMG_9233.JPG

So how does it work??

It works!!! Because my car is in restomod I can't try the power steering while driving.

I tested the power steering controller I've bought at www.rallywiz.com. I've contacted them and asked if it was possible to connect the PSC with the speedosensor hooked up. They told me it will start in midrange model.

Here's the video:

It steers very light. Remember the engine and trans aren't in de car.

In the future I would like to change the ratio to 16:1 by rebuilding the steering box and deleting the play, as you can see in the video.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Dickdale.

I'm still playing real close attention here since this is the way I'm positive I'm heading

At this moment I'm in the progress of using a Opel/Vauxhall power steering unit combined with a control unit for variable power steering. The control box uses a proximity sensor or the pulse of the electronic speedometer since I'm going to change the original speedometer.

www.rallywiz.com is selling the control units.

The Corsa EPS Speed Unit can convert your vehicles existing speed pulses into a signal that the Corsa (B or C) ECU expects to see. This gives the EPS ECU the ability to run different assistant levels depending on the vehicle speed:

<15MPH High Power Assistance
15-35MPH Medium Power Assistance
>35MPH Low Power Assistance

You can also just use a simple manual adjustment knob as seen on the website.

The unisteer unit costs 1600 dollars. With the Corsa PS and control unit I think I will be ready for less then 600 dollars.
Where do you get the Corsa unit? It seems to be a European model?

I ended up with a Saturn Vue assist motor and column assembly off ebay. I’ve figured out a mounting plan but need a few more pieces. It’s a much larger and more robust looking unit than I had anticipated but should work fine.

0FBB4BDA-C904-43BD-BEEA-A12110D0797B.jpeg
90753829-03E5-4AB2-8A4D-1923FBB559DF.jpeg
9E93E088-5773-446E-81F9-6F3C26A8D510.jpeg
So.....luckily, my dash bar going across the front of the car was in exactly the right position for this steering motor to work. I ended up making an aluminum clamp type mount. The motor will actually pivot on the bar to allow my tilt to work. Now I need to tackle the telescoping column clamp.

Looks great! How are you going to control it?

Auto Transport Service
Back