• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical questions

Bigal75

Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
:angry9:Ok I picked up a '67 Coronet R/T and notied that the charging system is barely good enough for the stock requirements. I was wondering where do you guys pick up replacement wiper and headlight switches? I know if I shake or wiggle the headlight switch my cluster lights will come on or off - I checked the connectors and they seem nice and tight so I assume the switch has packed it in.

Another thing, my wipers only work on one speed - brutally slow. I think it's a 3 speed set up? Sounds like a switch?:thinker:

:angry9:Ok I picked up a '67 Coronet R/T and notied that the charging system is barely good enough for the stock requirements. I was wondering where do you guys pick up replacement wiper and headlight switches? I know if I shake or wiggle the headlight switch my cluster lights will come on or off - I checked the connectors and they seem nice and tight so I assume the switch has packed it in.

Another thing, my wipers only work on one speed - brutally slow. I think it's a 3 speed set up? Sounds like a switch?:thinker:

Send a PM to Slantsixdan here. I think he might have a switch for you.

Before you start replacing switches I would do several things.

1- When your gauge cluster is screwed in it is grounded. If it isn't it could explain some of the weirdness you are seeing. Try screwing it back in and test again.

2- Make sure your ground contacts are clean and not oxidized or rusted.

3- Assuming one and two doesn't fix it... buy some electrical spray contact cleaner and scrub the contacts with a stiff toothbrush. Probably wouldn't hurt to scuff your contacts with a metal file as well. Put a dab of dielectric grease on the pins after cleaning/scuffing to retard oxidation.

4- while you are at it you might as well pull the bulkhead connector on the firewall and clean those contacts up as well.

If nothing else most of what I mentioned should be done anyway as a matter of principle.

Before you start replacing switches I would do several things.

1- When your gauge cluster is screwed in it is grounded. If it isn't it could explain some of the weirdness you are seeing. Try screwing it back in and test again.

2- Make sure your ground contacts are clean and not oxidized or rusted.

3- Assuming one and two doesn't fix it... buy some electrical spray contact cleaner and scrub the contacts with a stiff toothbrush. Probably wouldn't hurt to scuff your contacts with a metal file as well. Put a dab of dielectric grease on the pins after cleaning/scuffing to retard oxidation.

4- while you are at it you might as well pull the bulkhead connector on the firewall and clean those contacts up as well.

If nothing else most of what I mentioned should be done anyway as a matter of principle.

OK I'll start with this and if it's a no go I will contact the other member for a switch. I'm also redoing some of the grounds on the car. Perhaps that will help too.

Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back