• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic choke power supply

'68 Charger

Local time
12:48 PM
Reaction score
Any suggestions on where I can put my power supply for my electronic choke? Edelbrock Thunder series carb. 1968 B Body (Charger)
I would like it to be in the engine compartment side if possible. Are any of these arrows in my pic a good ideal? All are key on power only.
The voltage regulator is an electronic old school look version. The red arrow would be the easiest IMO if applicable.

If not any these, any other suggestions? Thanks

20230510_201036.jpg

I believe the green or yellow locations would be fine. Just confirm they are "key on" 12 volt sources.
Mike

Last edited:
I used the green arrow location on my 67. I recommend using an inline fuse. The original choke that came on my Eddy carb shorted out after several years - turned the key to start the car and smoke started coming out from under the hood. Fortunately, it only burned the choke wire before I shut it off.

I use the blue wire position in the ballast resistor. It is hot on "run". Yellow arrow in your picture.

You should use the blue. Green is the charge control circuit and To me that is not where you want to tap in.

I used the green arrow location on my 67. I recommend using an inline fuse. The original choke that came on my Eddy carb shorted out after several years - turned the key to start the car and smoke started coming out from under the hood. Fortunately, it only burned the choke wire before I shut it off.
Thanks for the advice.

You should use the blue. Green is the charge control circuit and To me that is not where you want to tap in.
Thank you

In your reply are blue and green referring to the arrows or wires?

Sorry folks, I should've used different colored arrows to replace blue and green to avoid confusion.

What was I thinking? LoL

Been thinking about what pnora posted so I checked how I have mine wired. Pretty sure it was originally connected as I said above, but looks like I rewired it when the first choke blew out - been a while since I did that so didn't remember. I now have it going through the firewall into either the fuse box or dash ignition circuits - haven't crawled under there to trace it, but I am certain I put put it on a fused circuit when I changed it.

Thank you

In your reply are blue and green referring to the arrows or wires?
I see why you were questioning this. All these damn arrows and I have not seen one Indian. Just unplug both wires from the resistor. Turn the key on and see which one has 12 volts and that is the one to use. Green on the regulator is the wire color and do not use that circuit.

I believe the green or blue locations would be fine. Just confirm they are "key on" 12 volt sources.
Mike
IMO....
The YELLOW Arrow...The wire on the LEFT side of the ballast resistor would be best...OK TO USE
The BLUE Arrow...The wire on the RIGHT side of the ballast resistor will yield a reduced voltage as it feeds the coil primary and may result in ignition system issues. ...DO NOT USE
The RED Arrow...The wire feeds the alternators rotating field....DO NOT USE
THE GREEN ARROW...The wire feeds the battery reference voltage to the voltage regulator. Additional loads would result in higher battery voltage due to inaccurate battery voltage reference....DO NOT USE
Just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

IMO....
The YELLOW Arrow...The wire on the LEFT side of the ballast resistor would be best...OK TO USE
The BLUE Arrow...The wire on the RIGHT side of the ballast resistor will yield a reduced voltage as it feeds the coil primary and may result in ignition system issues. ...DO NOT USE
The RED Arrow...The wire feeds the alternators rotating field....DO NOT USE
THE GREEN ARROW...The wire feeds the battery reference voltage to the voltage regulator. Additional loads would result in higher battery voltage due to inaccurate battery voltage reference....DO NOT USE
Just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON
Bob, the other end of the yellow arrow wire connects to the wire at the green arrow. It is merely a jumper connection.
Mike

Thanks for all of your input folks. Looks like I'm going with the yellow arrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back