• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic Gauges

kp72

Local time
10:50 AM
Reaction score
I got most of my gauges in the GTX today. I went with Auto-Meter ProComp, installed on a custom instrument panel. I have all the senders and wires run towards the instrument panel, but I'm stuck at one place: Where do I pull power from? Which wire coming off of the ignition switch is the "outgoing" power? I have to cut the old wires going to the light switch connector anyway, since I'm switching to toggle switches, is that power wire big enough to handle all the gauges?

Maybe it will help if one of you wiring gurus can give brief description of the three basic parts of the stock fuse block... one is switched power, one is always hot, the other is...?

Also, I am switching from an ammeter to a voltage gauge. What should I do with the wires that used to power it? Looks like they just have to be connected, does it matter where? Can I use that for a power source?

I am planning to get all this stuff running, then make my own harness from scratch, unless I find something else suitable (American Autowire?). I'll post pics soon, once I get this thing in place.

With a test light, take the end wit the aligator clip and clamp it onto a bare meatl part of the car for a good ground.
With the sharp end, the needle point, poke it through a wire.

IF the light stay off, turn the key foward one spot. This is the run position on the key, where it resides after you start the car. Power should be flowing everywhere.)
Now, IF the light comes on, this wire can be considered a "Switched" wire because the key is a switch.

You can use this wire to power the gauges.

Use 1 wire, to power all the gauges lights. Ground each gauge seperatly.

Radio shack has wire and connectors suiteable for the task at hand. Find a "Older" exp. guy there and tell'em what your doing.
Auto part stores may have what your looking for. Not all auto parts stores are created equal.

AMP GAUGE ISSUE Tie the two ends from the gauge togther.
Yes, you can use it for power. Splice wisely and protect the wires well!
Click here---> http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Thanks for the reply, r.fish.

As for grounding, I ran a separate ground with 14ga wire for the temp sensor and grounded it near the sender. The speedometer has it's own ground, also. I was planning to ground the oil pressure and voltage gauge to the same wire as the temp gauge, you don't recommend that? Should I run other ground wires to the block somewhere?

Auto Transport Service
Back