• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Compartment Brace

Both ends are slotted to accommodate production variances. Again, they not stout enough to control serious movement. The center stud, found all b-bodies starting in ’72, does have a small reinforcement plate behind the center upper cowl panel, but still the upper cowl panel is thin and provides little structural support. No way these would control anything but sheet metal, upper fenders, rear hood & hinge, lateral movement.

As for what ’72 engine applications received them from the factory, documentation is scarce. I only saw them on big blocks back in the day at the dealers, the added weight caused excessive sheet metal movement is my guess. I’ve heard some ’72 340 owners claim they had them originally. Fairly easy to add to any ’72 however. And easy to spot on original paint engine compartments if they had ever been installed, undisturbed paint on the center stud or fender locations.

So. Surprised that they are hollow and slotted! How much can they really do?
I would think they will flex and possibly move in the slotted holes under stress.

Montclaire....PM me with a price. I may be interested. I have a 72.

They help to reduce "cowl shake," which is why I was going to put them on my 73 Challenger. I sold the car before they ever made it on. It sticks out in my mind that I needed 72s for whatever reason. I'll take another look tonight and see if I can't track them down - I checked my ebay history and I didn't sell them so they are around. I have a pair of 73s as well so I'll post some comparison photos.

Auto Transport Service
Back