• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine compartment castor /camber covers

I wonder if they could have been inside or outside depending on the sobriety of the installer when they were built.
Also, since these are removed for front end alignments, the guy could have stuffed them back on either way, right?

I got to thinking about it, I don’t recall if the passenger side installs from the inside or outside. Drivers side from the outside for sure, the lower holes are almost to the bottom of the frame rail…
B9F044F6-D865-45DA-A1C4-3847F210500D.jpeg

I wonder if they could have been inside or outside depending on the sobriety of the installer when they were built.
Also, since these are removed for front end alignments, the guy could have stuffed them back on either way, right?
Nobody is going to take the time to pull all the push pins and turn them around...

This splash shield placement discrepancy is a subject that is almost as old as dirt!
There is no definite here and that was determined decades ago.
My ‘69 Bee: Lynch Rd
‘69 Charger: Hamtramck
Both on the outside and always have been.
I popped these off before taking both cars to the alignment shop and the factory finish under in the outline of the rubber shields validate the placement.
Others will find the same and different on their cars.

Last edited:
Killing time today while no wifi or power to most of town. Almost confused myself watching it as to what's inside and outside looking at the staples, then realized the video is reversed. This is the OE passenger side from my '69 Bee. Car was my Fathers, mine since 1979.

Mine were originally installed on the outside on my ‘69, which makes more sense in regards to performing an alignment.
Agree, mine were too. Not to mention better at keeping grime out of the engine compartment. Not sure why one on the inside and the other on the outside but OK.
Minor point really.

All the original cars will show you. They undercoated with the flaps installed.
I've seen many, but do not recall an outside mounted pass side.
But being in Canada, there's plant cars that maybe we don't see here.

At least they gave thought to where it should go in '66. There are holes in the frame rail to mount them outside. Not sure if the undercoat job is OE (but it certainly looks like it, 10000 mile car!) and if so it was installed inside !
20221204_150320.jpg

Last edited:
At least they gave thought to where it should go in '66. There are holes in the frame rail to mount them outside. Not sure if the undercoat job is OE (but it certainly looks like it, 10000 mile car!) and if so it was installed inside !
View attachment 1382633

While we're here, does anybody know what the hell the large hole in the lower left corner by the access port is for? I have pondered this one much to no avail.

It may have been there to hang the panel on the assembly line to deliver it to the welder.

Mike

While we're here, does anybody know what the hell the large hole in the lower left corner by the access port is for? I have pondered this one much to no avail.
Nope... possibly a tooling hole to hold the part for pressing? The cover covers it though... here's RC's original '66. Even though they put clip holes in the frame in '66 the still didn't use them or make the rubber wide enough to pick up the holes..
marks66ucacover.jpg

The assembly manual shows the drivers side installed from the outside and the passenger side installed from the inside.

As noted earlier, I did a lot of observation on this years back when I was restoring my Bee before putting them BACK on the inside.

Can some other members on here go look at their '66 Sat's and Belvederes and tell me where theirs are??? before I install my new ones on my HP2 that's missing it's covers.

My guess is it all depended on the plant and the assembly guy that was putting them on and how much he had to drink the night before work the next day.
Looks to me like there was no "standard". Doesn't surprise me for the late 60s.
Putting them in the wheel well from the outside makes more sense from a physics and aesthetic standpoint.
However I do prefer the clips pointing in towards the wheel well vs inside the engine compartment.
What a dilemma. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back