• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Compartment Ignition Wire Source for Electric Radiator Fans

mnewell337@gmai

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
In the process of final connections for all sorts of new wiring in my 69 Charger, and looking for a convenient engine compartment Ignition Hot Wire source to tap into for my dual electric radiator fans.

Would a splice into one of the ignition wires to the 4-wire ballast work, or is that a No-No?

If not there, where else under the hood?

Mike

2-10-2024 1-52-00 PM.jpg

Use the ignition hot at the ballast to control a relay for your fans. Feed the 30/87 circuit to the fan motors with current from the battery or starter stud. Very little power is needed to control a relay so you are not taxing the ignition circuitry.
Mike

Never add loads directly to the battery if the original ammeter is still in place. Connect the high current side of the fan relay to the alternator stud.

Yes, I am looking to power the relay for the fans. The Ammeter has already been bypassed, and a Voltmeter added. Power for the fans will come from the battery.

Have not had power to the wiring yet, so cannot check, but believe the ignition wire to splice into would be the brown wire on the upper left of the ballast resistor of in the original pic I attached.

Factory installed? ’72 actually. The early MP/DC conversion kits have been available since the mid-seventies, would have included 5-pin ECUs and dual ballast. One of the first things I added to my old '70 Road Runner back in the day.
Scan22.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back