• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Harness routing 71 RoadRunner valve covers

poconos_power

Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
So I have a slightly rusty, slightly beat 1971 roadrunner with a 440 in it. It's not the original 440, possibly a few years older, but what the hell, I figure I'd dress it up a little throw some good parts on it, replace wiring harnesses, etc. I notice right now the original 440 valve covers have clips for the plug wire and engine harness to run down the passenger side. I plan to replace these covers with some Mickey Thompsons I got at Carlisle recently. However these covers have no clips. I know I'm not the first guy to replace stock valve covers so I'm looking to get an idea what everyone does with the routing and fastening of their engine harness on the 71s.

For reference, I'm running stock exhaust manifolds right now (since in a few years I might consider a restoration of the car back to stock) and I am wondering how folks are routing that last plug wire with new valve covers.

You can run that stuff along the factory path.
You can use something like Adel clamps, or fab a trough, or use some fire sleeve, whatever you like.

I did this: The #8 plug wire in the bottom slot, the next slot up left open for the wiring and the top slot for the coil wire to the coil mounted to the rear of the right cover. The clips are aluminum. I have to find another two slot clip for the rear set, hard to find, these are old, from the late 1970's. I may end up using a Dremel to MAKE a second slot in that rear single slot clip. I'll just have the Distributor wire and alternator single wire to go through there plus the choke from the other direction.

20220724_123007 - Copy.jpg

20220724_123024.jpg

Last edited:
Run them like factory. I used very small zip ties to keep them in order.

IMG_2016.jpg

Run them like factory. I used very small zip ties to keep them in order.

View attachment 1330727
Unusual application to measure the PCV vacuum with a 0-80 psi gauge.....vacuum is measured in inches of water (0-30" w.c) column.....I know the thread is dealing with wire routing......the gauge issue just jumped out....
BOB RENTON

Unusual application to measure the PCV vacuum with a 0-80 psi gauge.....vacuum is measured in inches of water (0-30" w.c) column.....I know the thread is dealing with wire routing......the gauge issue just jumped out....
BOB RENTON

That gauge is measuring oil pressure while I prime the oil pump with the drill you see in the pic. Your reading to much into the picture.

That gauge is measuring oil pressure while I prime the oil pump with the drill you see in the pic. Your reading to much into the picture.
My bad.....apparently due to close proximity of the PCV hose, it looks as if the two are connected.....sorry...need to get my eyes checked...
BOB RENTON

So I have a slightly rusty, slightly beat 1971 roadrunner with a 440 in it. It's not the original 440, possibly a few years older, but what the hell, I figure I'd dress it up a little throw some good parts on it, replace wiring harnesses, etc. I notice right now the original 440 valve covers have clips for the plug wire and engine harness to run down the passenger side. I plan to replace these covers with some Mickey Thompsons I got at Carlisle recently. However these covers have no clips. I know I'm not the first guy to replace stock valve covers so I'm looking to get an idea what everyone does with the routing and fastening of their engine harness on the 71s.

For reference, I'm running stock exhaust manifolds right now (since in a few years I might consider a restoration of the car back to stock) and I am wondering how folks are routing that last plug wire with new valve covers.
It wouldn't be the "original" 440 unless it's a 6-bbl car. You can get aftermarket wire looms and run the cables to the distributor, just be sure no contact with the exhaust manifolds.

My bad.....apparently due to close proximity of the PCV hose, it looks as if the two are connected.....sorry...need to get my eyes checked...
BOB RENTON
1660945409803.png
Here ya go. Now.. read the letters over the blue and yellow lines.

THANK YOU.........what blue and yellow lines.....I guess I'm worse off than I thought.....perhaps I should invest in a "seeing eye dog"........
BOB RENTON
Pssst... not to worry... I was just kidding with the the colors... they're really orange and purple.

The referral to the saw was a "play on words" as it was a tool not a physical visualization.....a "Spooner-ism" (named for the Reverand Spooner)...I think......
BOB RENTON
The referral to the saw was a "play on words" as it was a tool not a physical visualization.....a "Spooner-ism" (named for the Reverand Spooner)...I think......
BOB RENTON
Stop being serious ! I can play with words, too :eek:

It wouldn't be the "original" 440 unless it's a 6-bbl car. You can get aftermarket wire looms and run the cables to the distributor, just be sure no contact with the exhaust manifolds.
Yeah, I got it with. a 440 in it, but it came with the original 383 as well. If I were to do a true restoration, I'd need to throw that 383 back in and get a bench seat, but for now I just want to drive!

So run them like factory means just lay it down the engine between the intake and valve cover? :D

Pretty much. That is where the factory style harness is designed to run, anywhere else you have to start modifying it.

Auto Transport Service
Back