• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine I.D.

hemistix66

Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
Pad reads-7T 440 EE HP top line
16(maltese cross) X what if anything special?

Attachments

• 2013-03-24_18.23.42.jpg
    2013-03-24_18.23.42.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 193
1977 440 HP probably out of Roscoe's or Sheriff Buford T. Justice's ride. Don't know what the X is but that is not to be confused with the Maltese cross. I don't think it's anything special but the HP is not terribly common. Good stock for building as far as I'm concerned.

Cool bonus for me!Anyway to tell if crank is cast or steel on this vintage?Balancer size?Police motors have better heads too?It's in my 64,guess that"s a plus!I thought it ran better than just a440 he stuck in it.Thanks for any help Meep Meep

If it's untouched from the factory you are guaranteed it's a cast crank. Or at least I have never seen a steel crank that late. The harmonic absorber for a cast crank engine will be quite a bit thicker than the old steel crank type and often have a taper on the outer ring towards the front. Converter should have weights too. I still wouldn't feel bad if it's a cast crank. Heads are the same and probably 452's with factory hardened valve seats.

Pad reads-7T 440 EE HP top line
16(maltese cross) X what if anything special?

This is from '75. Without looking, I'm pretty sure everything applies to '77.
The E = cast crank and was probably double stamped.

75_Engine_stampingsb_600.jpg

Thanks 69CoronetRT!Everything is what I thought except balancer looks like steel crank,thinner.But previous ower put the OD 833 in it.I'm not a 4spd expert,maybe to change cuz manual verus A/T?Car isn't selling and got 2 rude offers(experts) over the weekend.Probably keep it,do my plan of lil hop up.Leave patina the way it is,drive it!

Auto Transport Service
Back