• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine mount question

Dusty Dude

Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
Need a little help. I'm getting ready to install the engine back into my '69 Coronet 500 and I'm puzzled as to why the engine isolater will not sit flat down on the K member pad. If I place it on the pad and try and insert the bolt it will not engage the threaded side unless I raise the isolater about 3/16"-1/4". I can't imagine Chrysler actually designed it to be this way as this would result in all the engine weight resting on the two long bolts. My guess is that China has struck again as I have also had to deal with the small raised bump on the isolater not lining up with the hole in the engine bracket. Please school me on this and let me know if I am missing something or if I need to find some isolaters that will fit and if so who do I find them. These are Pioneer Automotive mounts bought through Summit.

Thanks

Sounds like poor quality control. O wouldn’t use those mounts, they clearly don’t fit the bracket or K frame.

Couple of pics of what I have.
New engine is 496" stroker so will have some balls. I will be running some sort of torque strap just haven't got around to making anything yet. Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to purchase some mounts that actually fit.

This is as low as it will go with the bolt in.
Motor mount 1.jpg
Motor mount 2.jpg
Engine.jpg

Weirdly, I have more questions now seeing the pictures :)

Just to confirm, there IS a hole in the purchase mount on the K member, correct? And the alignment pin on the mount is not lining up when the bolt is inserted? If both statements/assumptions are true... then you have a bad/wrong mount. It's hard to tell if you have some chinesium version, but the offset of the material doesn't look right to me, for what it's worth.

A couple of recommendations... options...

First, look at these Schumacher Creative mounts... '66-74 B, C, E-Body Big Block Mount Kit.
I use them on all my cars (66 & 72 Chargers, 67 Coronet). I actually have an extra set new in the box in case you're interested.

Second, and unrelated... I have a fairly stout 515ci and have tried and made a few engine straps with varying degrees of success... I ended up going with Mancini's... highly recommended and works with stock/after-market sway bars. They haven't let me down... Mancini Racing Torque Strap

HTH

Thanks Doorkicker. Yes, the hole in the K member and the pin in the isolater line up just fine. The first thing I saw on the box these things came in was "Made in China" but of coarse I had no way of knowing that when I bought them. I have come across a couple of pictures while searching for answers that show others have this same problem but apparently it didn't bother them to install them this way. Maybe that's how they are supposed to be but I certainly can't understand why.
I'll give Schumacher and Mancini a call today and see if they can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks again

Couple of pics of what I have.
New engine is 496" stroker so will have some balls. I will be running some sort of torque strap just haven't got around to making anything yet. Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to purchase some mounts that actually fit.

This is as low as it will go with the bolt in.
View attachment 1557864View attachment 1557865View attachment 1557867
Those are ****.
I had to put some in a challenger, they fit the same. Had to tighten the crap out of them to secure to the frame.
Get different ones.

Do you have motor mount brackets like these?
Yes. One with the tube for the driver side and one without.

I called Schumacher before lunch and had a very informative conversation with him. The bottom line is that nobody is making these isolators in the US. They are all made overseas and he is as upset about it as the rest of us. He is working with someone trying to produce his own product as he said he lost his molds and stated that it has been a real hassle trying to get anywhere. He was very candid about his frustrations and stated that he really didn't have anything to offer that was any better than what I have. I thanked him profusely for his honest answers to my questions and wished him great success going forward.

I also contacted Mancini and ask if the isolators were supposed to sit flat on the k member and I was told that yes they are. I asked if they had any that would and all he said was "no". I thanked him for his time and hung up.

As of this writing I have just finished making two spacers to fit between the k member and the isolators to raise them so the bolt will pass through and engage the nut. I will also make a couple of spacers to reduce the front to back slop between the k member and the ears on the isolators so I don't have to crank down on them so they bend and allow the proper torque to be applied. Other than that it's all going well...............until the next thing comes up!

I have the same mounts from Summit Racing I used a file to open the part of the mount that goes on the K-frame.

Bolt the mount on to the engine bracket makes it a little easier to file it.

Last edited:
Looking at the pictures it looks like the side of the mount is bent inwards, bending it straight will allow it to go on all the way.

I thought someone posted 440 Source were making engine mounts?

Thank you Steve340! This is exactly what I was hoping I could find. I knew that they made the poly mounts but didn't know they were making these now. Just ordered a set. Thanks again i really appreciate it.
Mike

Update.

Received the 440 Source mounts in the mail last night (thanks again to steve340) and I have to say they are AWESOME! They fit perfectly on the K-frame with no excessive front to back slop, the bolt hole and welded nut line up perfectly with the hole in the K-frame and the unit sits flat as it should. The raised bump adjacent to the stud is exactly where it should be and the welds on the nut look to be totally sufficient. These mounts are light years better than the ones I purchased from Summit. The only test left is to see how they hold up but based on the build quality I have no doubt they will be fine. I will respect them however and run a torque strap as even Superman had a bad day now and then. I believe these mounts are money well spent.

Auto Transport Service
Back