• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Identification 440/383?

Where the black arrow points to the pad,it's flat.If it were slanted then it would be a 383.Some one correct me if I'm wrong...........
383 should be under the distributor. 413-440 front flat pad. The 383 should be on the passenger side. 440 right up front above the water pump housing.

This would be a 440 stamp location. Front just above water pump housing. The 915 heads are sought after and are decent heads. From this article they are a 1 year only head. 1967 Scrounger’s Guide - Mopar Big-Block 915 Heads - Hot Rod Magazine

View attachment 1409558
A low deck block will not even have that raised pad that the 440 does.. I remember early on when Ken Lazzari Sp? was helping Kevin Chapman in his KOS Super Bee.. He had to make it look like a 440 and he epoxied a pad on it so it appeared to be a 440 when it really it was a 400 stroker motor..

A low deck block will not even have that raised pad that the 440 does.. I remember early on when Ken Lazzari Sp? was helping Kevin Chapman in his KOS Super Bee.. He had to make it look like a 440 and he epoxied a pad on it so it appeared to be a 440 when it really it was a 400 stroker motor..
Yes I know this.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the help guys.
1. Exceptionally difficult to see the numbers, haven’t pulled the motor yet so attempting to see especially near the distributor is a royal pain in the ***(and nearly impossible)
2.Yes, I’m a female,(it’s my picture in the avatar) shock and awe aside, I appreciate all the help!

I appreciate all the help guys.
1. Exceptionally difficult to see the numbers, haven’t pulled the motor yet so attempting to see especially near the distributor is a royal pain in the ***(and nearly impossible)
2.Yes, I’m a female,(it’s my picture in the avatar) shock and awe aside, I appreciate all the help!
With the numbers you did post it is a 383 B block.

Auto Transport Service
Back