• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine install what way would you do it?

Heimedw

Local time
7:29 AM
Reaction score
Well I got my motor and trans pulled out. I took the trans out then the motor and it went way to smooth for any of my projects lol. The question I have is, will it be easier to put the motor in first then fight getting the trans to line up or trans first then the motor? I'm sure you will say put them in together but my garage won't let me jack the car high enough to allow that. Thanks for any tips? Ow one other thing can you install the starter to the trans before the motor goes in? My tti headers look like they are going to be a pain the get at the top starter bolt!

20190522_191122.jpg 20190511_130204.jpg 20190511_130045.jpg

Motor and trans...
I did my 70 Superbee Hemi that way....
TTIs are Soooo Good, they bolt right in..of course, a little struggle on Passenger side but "nothing" like conventional headers...
TTI uses small header bolts, 12 point...easy install...("3/8")
Good luck, 2 person job..have fun and post pics!
P1010057.JPG

I'm going to get the trans beefed up to handle the new motor. That's why I pulled both.

If you are not going to drop the K member and wish to go in from the top install the engine 1st. Headers off to the sides , once the engine is down Let the headers hang loose on the head studs, just start the nuts a couple threads so you can move them around. Makes the starter, mount bolts ect less of a pain.
Board and floor jack under the pan. Set the trans & converter on another floor jack and board and install.
You can cut the heads off a couple long bolts and turn in the block by hand for a guide to get you up on the locate dowls/studs.
Its pretty easy worst part is getting up and down off the floor for tools :lol:
and yes always use good jack stands, no cinder blocks ect.

Going from the bottom is great if you're equipped for it....I'm not. 440 slides right in from the top with the 'picker, if the trans is bolted to it it's helpful to have a helper but anyone with any mechanical skill whatsoever should be able to land an engine single-handed with no trouble. Plenty of room and less work to go in from the top in my opinion.

If going in from the top together leave the water pump and oil filter off until installed.

Once you put one in from the bottom, you will never drop one from the top again.

Going from the bottom is great if you're equipped for it....I'm not. 440 slides right in from the top with the 'picker, if the trans is bolted to it it's helpful to have a helper but anyone with any mechanical skill whatsoever should be able to land an engine single-handed with no trouble. Plenty of room and less work to go in from the top in my opinion.

Only thing I did was built a three wheel dolly to drop the Kframe on with a spot for the tail shaft of the tranny to rest on,then used my picker to lift the car up.

Not nearly as work as you think and less chance of scratching up the car and engine compartment.

That was a 318 that came out,cannot wait to set the car down over the brand new 470.

I put the *** end up in the air on ramps or jack stands, then drop both eng/trans in at the same time. It helps having a leveler, I have a new one for the install from Mac's Tiedowns, but this is the combo coming out. (We did the install inside the garage a few years back)
nc_oc=AQn62ZHZI8cMztwWt3PKrkur9D5IO14YPjT3gjqLK-Jss-lygA63QXCjUjME0V02jrI&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

I like that 64 road race! I never thought of just lifting the rear to make enough room for the trans tail to slip in as one unit. Good idea do you have the front tires off?

every one has great ways, I bolt them together , lift it high enough to clear the radiator support and roll the car underneath them a lower them in place. easy peasy and I do it by myself.

Recently, r&r just the engine, I let the air out of the front tires. As the engine came out, it countered the rise in the suspension and kept the crane height to a minimum.
Pushing the car instead of pulling the crane is much easier.
I like the raising the rear method.
Pulled another engine this past week, will drop trans, and would like to put all back from down under.

Auto Transport Service
Back