• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine load from auxiliary equipment

I've found the required phasing rotor that is required and suits my distributor.
Now I wonder if I require a ignition control box, since this distributor is a RTR model and does not require an additional control box I don't have one.
All control electronics are inside the distributor.
From what I've seen is that when using the Hyper spark ignition control box it only works with the Hyper spark distributor so guess that is a no go.
I guess it is best to ask Holley what would work.
I did read up a bit and seen that quite some folks say to us the hall effect distributor as the magnetic pick-up type requires a good knowledge of setting it up otherwise you will end up in a downwards spiral of drama's.....hard to judge how that will work out.

Edit: I already found that i will need the MSD 6EFI ignition box and i will be able to use my current distributor (with phasing rotor) to make it work with the Sniper EFI.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I've found this dyno testing results on Hughes engines website where they used the camshaft I have.
https://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/4440stage1dynotest07142002.php

Looks like a healthy torque even at lower rpm's.
I am using the Edelbrock performer rpm manifold as well, though theirs is reworked and i don't know the other specs of their engine so mine will not reach the numbers they made.
But looks like I can assume my engine will pull +500 hp and +500 lb/ft of torque, which is a lot more than I expected.
With my current converter stalling around 3800-4000 rpm it will be right in the power band, too bad my road tires cannot hold any of that.:)

I am wondering how much advance this MSD 6EFI box and the Sniper will be able to add, guess for cruising it should be able to reach 40* advance i hope? Then will see if it will be able to idle better if it's running with 30* advance as well.

For anyone interested, I've found this dyno testing results on Hughes engines website where they used the camshaft I have.
https://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/4440stage1dynotest07142002.php

Looks like a healthy torque even at lower rpm's.
I am using the Edelbrock performer rpm manifold as well, though theirs is reworked and i don't know the other specs of their engine so mine will not reach the numbers they made.
But looks like I can assume my engine will pull +500 hp and +500 lb/ft of torque, which is a lot more than I expected.
With my current converter stalling around 3800-4000 rpm it will be right in the power band, too bad my road tires cannot hold any of that.:)

I am wondering how much advance this MSD 6EFI box and the Sniper will be able to add, guess for cruising it should be able to reach 40* advance i hope? Then will see if it will be able to idle better if it's running with 30* advance as well.
A MSD street fire is a good low cost solution.

I had checked the Streeftire CDI box, but the manual has no description on using this on a Sniper system.
I'm fairly sure you could use a street fire.
Call Holley same company as MSD

The MSD 6EFI box is similar price and does provide drawing schematics to hook it up to various EFI systems including the Sniper.
I will consider to upgrade to this, $300 and the Sniper will take care of timing control which is more cost effective than the $800 for the full Hyperspark kit.
Hopefully this will aid in better idling quality, I do not see any other option that may cause it to be so erratic.

What is your altitude? Here in Denver (Mile High) the altitude reduces engine vacuum quite a bit.
The EFI with Ignition control should help, but you still need to tinker with the computer settings.
You Distributor is fine. Lock it out and use the Rotor that can be phased. Disable the Distributor Rev limiter (use the EFI rev limiter). Connect the Orange negative coil wire to to the Sniper Yellow Coil Input.
The Points Out White Wire is used to trigger the Coil Driver Module that should have came with the sniper, and that output connects to the ignition Coil negative.
If you want to use a CD Ignition box, then the white wire is used to trigger that box, and the Coil driver Module is not used at all.
I would get a new distributor cap also, and modify the old one so that you can see the rotor to make sure it is phased to the cap correctly.

I always double verify that the ignition timing is what the computer thinks it is. You can lock the ignition advance (Static timing) in the computer settings (or just set all the ignition map settings the same, around 30 degrees) and using a timing light, make sure the ignition timing is actually 30 degrees. Then while watching the timing, run the engine RPM up to around 4,000+ RPM, and make sure the timing stays at 30 degrees, if it advances or retards, there is an adjustment in the computer software to compensate for that. Also check that the rotor mistly aligned with the caps spark plug terminal. If the phasing is off, the adjustable rotor might need to be moved, and if you run out of adjustment, the reference angle in the software can be adjusted.
Once you have verified that the ignition timing matches that the computer says, you can make all the tuning changes in the computer.
The 15-degrees initial / base timing seems to work good for starting the engine. Once the engine fires, you can program the timing to jump to 20+ degrees at high vacuum/map settings which should help idle quality and vacuum. The Idle AFR might need to be slightly rich, and might have to makes some changes to the Idle Air Control if running a real large cam.

What is your altitude? Here in Denver (Mile High) the altitude reduces engine vacuum quite a bit.
The EFI with Ignition control should help, but you still need to tinker with the computer settings.
You Distributor is fine. Lock it out and use the Rotor that can be phased. Disable the Distributor Rev limiter (use the EFI rev limiter). Connect the Orange negative coil wire to to the Sniper Yellow Coil Input.
The Points Out White Wire is used to trigger the Coil Driver Module that should have came with the sniper, and that output connects to the ignition Coil negative.
If you want to use a CD Ignition box, then the white wire is used to trigger that box, and the Coil driver Module is not used at all.
I would get a new distributor cap also, and modify the old one so that you can see the rotor to make sure it is phased to the cap correctly.

I always double verify that the ignition timing is what the computer thinks it is. You can lock the ignition advance (Static timing) in the computer settings (or just set all the ignition map settings the same, around 30 degrees) and using a timing light, make sure the ignition timing is actually 30 degrees. Then while watching the timing, run the engine RPM up to around 4,000+ RPM, and make sure the timing stays at 30 degrees, if it advances or retards, there is an adjustment in the computer software to compensate for that. Also check that the rotor mistly aligned with the caps spark plug terminal. If the phasing is off, the adjustable rotor might need to be moved, and if you run out of adjustment, the reference angle in the software can be adjusted.
Once you have verified that the ignition timing matches that the computer says, you can make all the tuning changes in the computer.
The 15-degrees initial / base timing seems to work good for starting the engine. Once the engine fires, you can program the timing to jump to 20+ degrees at high vacuum/map settings which should help idle quality and vacuum. The Idle AFR might need to be slightly rich, and might have to makes some changes to the Idle Air Control if running a real large cam.
Lol, my altitude is about -2 meter below sea level. Dutch low lands :)
So you are saying I could use the RTR distributor to work directly with the Sniper if wired up as you stated? (and without any ignition box)
I was looking into the wiring setup of the MSD 6EFI box, normally the magnetic distributors have the green & violet wiring for the triggering, mine does not.
And as I read that it is either the green/violet wiring is used for magnetic pick up or the white wire as Points / electronic ignition amplifier triggering.
My distributor has the 3-pin connector (red/black/orange) and a single grey wire for the tach which is in use also. (with tach adapter)
Red goes to the positive pole on the coil and the black wire is ground, that orange one goes on the Yellow coil input of the sniper EFI connector.
Points Out (white) from Sniper goes to the negative pole on the coil.
The Points Out White Wire is used to trigger the Coil Driver Module that should have came with the sniper
This coil driver module you mentioned, that is integrated in the Sniper ECU right?
EDIT: I see what you mean now with the coil driver, i must have it if it comes with the Sniper kit, still somewhere in the box as i kept everything i did not use when i installed it.

So, in this case the RTR distributor electronics are still in use or not?
I have never really looked in-depth on the working of all this so this is all quite new for me.
But if I understand correct with the above setup, the Sniper EFI controls the timing now by telling the RTR distributor when to fire? (Sniper determines the timing advance/retard)
As how I understand, the distributor rotor/pin connections have an x-amount of degrees where they are able to pass a spark, correct?
After using the phasing rotor, there is a certain amount of degrees in both directions that are used for changing the timing.
Having it adjusted as per manual at 15* just puts it in the middle of the range I guess.

I did read up on setting the EFI on the static timing and check if correct or not, if not correct this must be corrected by rotating the distributor, right?
At higher rpm it indeed states you need to increase/decrease the inductive delay, depending on if the timing advances or retards if you get in higher rpm's.
Yes the AFR at idle is set rich, I believe it was 13.2 - 13.5 or so where it runs best, the IAC speed I set for fast so it reacts quickly as soon as the rpm raise or drop, leaving it at medium or slow it tends to hang a little and causes a very variable idle rpm. (this is only with a warm engine at idle)

Last edited:
does using an MSD start/retard box require an MSD6 or 7?
I think it does, check the wiring diagram on the Holley website how to hook it up.

After reading up on this ignition, I think I will go for a Hyperspark distributor and use the Sniper coil driver.
The distributor is easy to connect and works with the hall effect sensor, I read too much things about magnetic pickup and RFI interference and issues that may occur.
I am sure that one of those will happen to me if I take a short cut so better be ahead of the game.
Then I got adjustable timing and it is future proof as I have the option to install a Hyperspark ignition box if I had to. (assuming the Sniper coil driver does exactly the same job)

After staring at several Summit racing cart configurations with different distributors and ignition boxes.....pff.:rolleyes:
I just went ahead and ordered the Hyperspark distributor, ignition box and coil, I got all the connections on the sniper and is full plug & play.
Also read up that the coil driver provided with the Sniper EFI is not unlimited, I read somewhere stating that 400 hp is the limit for some reason.
The Hall-effect distributor seems to work better and more reliable compared to a magnetic pick-up type.
So instead of a Hyperspark distributor or dual sync distributor and a MSD6 EFI box, I better avoid any problems and get the full HYperspark kit.

I did search some, but was unable to find any optional drive pulley's for alternators.
I was thinking to change the pulley (v-belt type) to a larger size to decrease the load. I have an alternator with integrated voltage regulator which at idle also provides 14 volt so I should be able to lower the rpm of the alternator a little more.
I liked the idea of a conversion kit to go to an underdrive serpentine belt, but these seem to be manufactured out of gold and unobtanium or something with $2K or $3K prices.

IIRC my old oil pump was a HV type as well, will see if I can find a standard one and replace the HV with a stock size and see how that works out.
With my oil pressure I don't think it would really need a HV pump, and likely is just a power robber.

Auto Transport Service
Back