• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine oil PSI

Thanks. I will say I've been using the Valvoline VR-1.
If your using VR-1 successfully I wouldn’t change.
I’m told rotella doesn’t have as much zinc as it used to.
I have used it off and on for years, but 2 years ago ran some in my 413 and it didn’t like it at all

First admission - I’m also a long time C2 Vette owner and probably hopelessly corrupted by the C2 Corvette Forum and many on it use Rotella. But yes, a lot of old muscle and classic car owners do use and recommend Rotella, especially for flat tappet cam engines. I’ve been running it in my old cars for about 10 - 12 years except for in one motor I had custom built and the builder recommended Joe Gibbs HR oil. But it’s well broken in now and I’ll probably switch it to Rotella the next change. I’ve also seen a big following for Valvoline Racing oil too although Rotella no doubt has the cost advantage.
I am not willing to take the chance on the minute amount saved on an oil change. Engine parts and rebuilds were expensive years ago and have not gotten any cheaper if you can even find a trusted shop to do the machine work. Valvoline Racing for me in all my flat tappet equipment.
it's also debatable the amount of zinc in Rotella. I see lots of old reports thrown out there when the subject comes up. But finding it on a bottle or jug has not happened in years.

Rotella T4 CK-4 Zinc and Phosphorous levels. For break in of a new flat tappet cam engine a break in oil with higher levels should be used. But after break in it’s no longer needed and elevated levels can eventually lead to corrosion At high levels. So break in oil might be a poor substitute for continual use but these oils being discussed are for continual use.

PETROLEUM QUALITY INSTITUTE OF AMERICA TEST PROGRAM

Ok! how did the conversation get to breaking oil? Who in their right mind would continue the use of breaking oil? After all that is why it was always labeled breaking in oil with a scheduled change time to a regular zinc-based oil. Good grief!

Back