• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine overheating

You know what mystifies me on cooling?
How the heck do the late-model hemi's (and I'm talking all of them, truck and car) run thin
aluminum radiators and get away with it - I'm talking just a little over 1" thick cores here!
Our older beasts seem to take so much higher capacity radiators and such and some still
struggle with temps, even without a/c and such oftentimes (I'm looking at Fred right now
as I say this, with his 3" thick high dollar Griffin in him).
Agreed! But it could be a ton of stuff like the engines and stuff and a ton of other factors, the car i have has no ac!

How the heck do the late-model hemi's (and I'm talking all of them, truck and car) run thin
aluminum radiators and get away with it - I'm talking just a little over 1" thick cores here!
Our older beasts seem to take so much higher capacity radiators and such and some still
struggle with temps, even without a/c and such oftentimes (I'm looking at Fred right now
Although being thinner, the cooling surface area (sq/ft) on those modern radiators is higher/denser compared to the "old style" ones and the material itself is a lot thinner. (that's why they leak after 10 years where some old Mopars still have an OEM 40-50 year old radiator)
Also increased fan flow by means of electric fans that have an efficient shroud help in ease of cooling capacity.
Check the radiator fan rpm and air flow when idling when it kicks in on the new cars and compare it with the mechanical driven fan rpm and air flow on the old one.

Although being thinner, the cooling surface area (sq/ft) on those modern radiators is higher/denser compared to the "old style" ones and the material itself is a lot thinner. (that's why they leak after 10 years where some old Mopars still have an OEM 40-50 year old radiator)
Also increased fan flow by means of electric fans that have an efficient shroud help in ease of cooling capacity.
Check the radiator fan rpm and air flow when idling when it kicks in on the new cars and compare it with the mechanical driven fan rpm and air flow on the old one.
Makes sense that the proof in the pudding occurs when the vehicle is stopped.
I might have to fetch an electric fan like the ones on our late model rides and give it a whirl on Fred.

Last edited:
I might have to getch an electric fan like the ones on our late model rides and give it a whirl on Fred.
I am not using one, though I've seen people using the Spal fans with good results.
Low profile and high efficiency, they mostly install them directly on the radiator core, with shroud if possible/available.
I used to have elevated temperatures in summer time as well, 200-205 deg F, now i am using a 4-row US copper core OEM style radiator (US Radiators) with 18" Flex-A-Lite fan and shroud and so far have not seen anything higher than 190 Deg F with outside temperature of 90 Deg F.

Dodge Coronet, 1966-69 V8 BB Radiator - US Radiator

The "thin-ness" of the core has nothing to do with the cooling capacity.....total surface area, velocity thru the cooling system and circulated volume is the key to efficient heat transfer......
BOB RENTON

The "thin-ness" of the core has nothing to do with the cooling capacity.....total surface area, velocity thru the cooling system and circulated volume is the key to efficient heat transfer......
BOB RENTON
I think it has a lot to do with the design differences of the engines involved too...

Auto Transport Service
Back