• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine overheating

Snowbug778

Local time
5:15 PM
Reaction score
Howdy yall this week has been a ride for certin. We got my 71 dodge charger running again after swapping a fuel pump but now! It overheats and makes this obnoxious noise like a fan belt slippin but its too loud and too much for it to be that, right now i dont have any videos but will get some later. But i drove two miles this morning and i got to where i was going and the hose we replaced last night that goes to the radiator had white smoke coming from it! Seeping out any where it could from that hose, (reason we replaced was becuase it popped off from pressure of white smoke trying to escape the radiator) any ideas?

It sounds like you may have a blown head gasket or cracked head. Combustion is getting into the cooling system and causing excessive pressure.

Mikes probably right, but check the easy stuff before you teardown....

Does the fan spin the water pump without dragging, with no belt installed?

Is there a thermostat installed?? Could be stuck shut.

Don't get near that hose when it's that hot.
VERY DANGEROUS

So i filled the overflow up and i pulled over just now and it was steaming out the overflow hose! Theres nothing in the container anymore! And heres the pic of the hose that burst that we replaced last night(big black one)

IMG_8199.jpeg

Lower hose can blow if the thermostat is stuck shut.

Allow to cool and put a new thermostat in it.

What does the temperature gauge read when your driving it?
All my gauges exept the speedometer dont work, this cars a joe dirt styled hotrod so i have zero clue, the guy we bought it from had an external one but it broke off

IMG_7213.jpeg

this cars a joe dirt styled hotrod so i have zero clue
Please don't take offense.... you may need to have someone familiar have a look at that thing for you!! Your issue could be a simple as it did'nt get topped up properly and the thermostat opened. This can fool some folks, since it has now properly burped. Or you could have a big problem with a damaged engine and you are risking damage or injury by fussing with it as is.

Don't get hurt!!

Please don't take offense.... you may need to have someone familiar have a look at that thing for you!! Your issue could be a simple as it did'nt get topped up properly and the thermostat opened. This can fool some folks, since it has now properly burped. Or you could have a big problem with a damaged engine and you are risking damage or injury by fussing with it as is.

Don't get hurt!!
No offense taken at all!!! And your right my dad and i are trying to figure out everything and we are going to get a new thermostat replace all the fluid burp it and see whats what from there

When you refill the radiator after the thermostat replacement, run the engine with the radiator cap off. When the thermostat opens the coolant level will drop in the radiator and then you can top it off to within an inch or two from the top if you don't have an overflow jug. If you do have an overflow jug then top the radiator right off to the top. But don't stand over the radiator with known over pressurization issues. That issue could easily be in your face if you're not careful. And you could be seriously burned. If you're not certain of what you're doing here, please have someone who is knowledgeable at least coach you through it. And good luck. Let us know how it goes!

When you refill the radiator after the thermostat replacement, run the engine with the radiator cap off. When the thermostat opens the coolant level will drop in the radiator and then you can top it off to within an inch or two from the top if you don't have an overflow jug. If you do have an overflow jug then top the radiator right off to the top. But don't stand over the radiator with known over pressurization issues. That issue could easily be in your face if you're not careful. And you could be seriously burned. If you're not certain of what you're doing here, please have someone who is knowledgeable at least coach you through it. And good luck. Let us know how it goes!
Thinking along those same lines, with the engine cold, remove the cap. Start the engine with the radiator full. If you have a blown head gasket it should blow coolant out almost immediately. If it's a crack it will need to warm up before it blows her cork. A stuck thermostat will have a hot engine and a relatively cool upper hose at the radiator. A digital non-contact thermometer is the best tool to check it with.

What PlymCrazy writes above is correct and the easiest way to check the thermostat. You could also test the thermostat to see if its the problem. Its easy if you have kitchen thermometer. Put the old thermostat in a pot with water. Put the pot on the stove and crank the heat. Insert the kitchen thermometer probe into the water and see when/if the thermostat opens. Most likely you have a 180 degree thermostat so it'll pop open when it hits that temp. Unfortunately you'll need 2 new gaskets to install the old thermostat if it turns out to be ok.

Btw, I'd get another temp gauge asap. If you are having overheating issues you aren't doing any good without one. IMO the most looked at gauge is the temperature gauge. I wouldn't drive my own cars without knowing the temperature.

Also check your oil and make sure it doesn't look like a chocolate shake. This will help verify head gasket issues. Either clean oil or milkshake. Milkshake is bad.

does anyone know the torque specs for the housing bolts for the thermostat?

does anyone know the torque specs for the housing bolts for the thermostat?
Tight. I snug them with a 6" 3/8 drive ratchet or a medium length combination wrench. Box end of course.

It overheats and makes this obnoxious noise like a fan belt slippin but its too loud and too much for it to be that
Aside of the suggestions already mentioned, make sure the belt does not slip.
Your cooling water pump is belt driven as is the radiator fan, maybe pump is seized?
Loosen the belt and check by hand to make sure the pump is turning smooth, after put some proper tension on the belt so it does not slip.

You know what mystifies me on cooling?
How the heck do the late-model hemi's (and I'm talking all of them, truck and car) run thin
aluminum radiators and get away with it - I'm talking just a little over 1" thick cores here!
Our older beasts seem to take so much higher capacity radiators and such and some still
struggle with temps, even without a/c and such oftentimes (I'm looking at Fred right now
as I say this, with his 3" thick high dollar Griffin in him).

Auto Transport Service
Back