• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine painting 1969 Charger RT

440plus6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
Gents- I am looking for some friendly input. I am at the point of painting the engine of my 512" build. It is E440 that received a stroker kit from 440Source, has aluminum heads and RPM Performer intake and a big Holley on top. 2" Tti headers as well. So..... clearly not stock. I also have my engine that I am pulling out, will likely go through it and minimally re-gasket and put on the stand. Altho not numbers matching, this engine looks stock and has proper components including Carter carb and exhaust manifolds. My request for your thoughts pertains to, should I paint the 512 accentuating the aluminum components, or should I paint it up in the stock fashion and hemi orange it out, so at a distance it would appear properly painted by factory standards?

I know it's my car and do whatever makes me happy, I am just looking for thoughts and opinions from Charger enthusiasts that if in my position, what would you do.

Thank you all!!!

That's a tough one cause as you said, to each their own.
How is the rest of the car? If it's for the car in your profile pic, that car looks pretty stock (wheels, paint, interior, etc..) Maybe that'll help you decide?

Don't think you'd go wrong with either option though.

If it were mine I’d paint it orange. My engine build was similar to yours but since it’s going into a’64 I painted it turquoise.

IMG_0248.jpeg

That's a tough one cause as you said, to each their own.
How is the rest of the car? If it's for the car in your profile pic, that car looks pretty stock (wheels, paint, interior, etc..) Maybe that'll help you decide?

Don't think you'd go wrong with either option though.
yes, it's very stock, matches fender tag completely. It's just it wasn't a numbers engine, and I wanted some kick. Hence the 512" build. I agree in theory on the stock appearance, but man all those go-fast parts look cool just the same LOL

My opinion-you-can-take-with-a-grain-of-salt : paint it hemi orange. I like what the guy said in post #1, it's your car and do what makes you happy. You should listen to him.

Factory correct color, including the aftermarket stuff, is what I do. To me it looks cleaner, neater, and is easier to keep clean.
I also take the Edelbrock scripts off the intake.

I have a '70's 440 in my 1964 Dodge Polara, built in Canada. I dressed my 440 up with chrome valve covers and air cleaner that were on the optional 426 Street Wedge (but not in Canada). I ground all the Edelbrock identifiers off the aluminum intake and painted everything red, as all engines installed in Canadian Dodges. Just my preference.

yes, it's very stock, matches fender tag completely. It's just it wasn't a numbers engine, and I wanted some kick. Hence the 512" build. I agree in theory on the stock appearance, but man all those go-fast parts look cool just the same LOL

I hear ya. I’d flip a coin and if you’re not happy with however it lands, then there’s your answer!

should I paint it up in the stock fashion and hemi orange it out, so at a distance it would appear properly painted by factory standards?
I would paint it orange just so it looks the part.

Or you could choose blue and run the car as a sleeper....but that exhaust note will give you away in no time at all. :lol:

Aluminum oxidizes and stains, the cheap clears turn color. I like paint - orange, turquoise, blue or red all look better that stained aluminum in my opinion

Auto Transport Service
Back