• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine restoration questions

SteveA922

Local time
2:46 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, couple tech resto questions if I might.
1. Are there any restoration books out there to help with accurately restoring or sorting out one of these B bodies?
2. I have been searching high and low for a definitive '68 engine teal green color. Mopar seems to offer one, but it shows out of stock with no production date. I don't trust Dupli Color or VHT. Classic Ind show's one that looks promising. Opinions?
3. I do understand how to decode a vin number and body code however this is only for the basics. Any way of telling how a car was optioned without an original window sticker or under the seat build sheet? My specific question at the moment is I've been told chrome valve covers were an option on '68 440 Chargers, true? And are they exactly the same stamping as the painted ones except for the chroming?

Thanks in advance, Steve

No chrome covers in '68 to my knowledge, that was a '67 thing and they had different features, (wire tabs, etc.) also.

Here is the paint you need but like you said it is out of stock as well I see.
I see the classic industries turquoise but am not sure about that one, but the picture of the color looks good.

I have this book as well and is a good reference for identifying engine part numbers,
Amazon product ASIN 1557881901

Try KBS Motor Coater for the Turquois panit....some will say Hirsch is best

Last edited:
I just bought two qts from Bill Hirsch, it’s spot on. The quality is very good and is equivalent to mopar or better. Perpetration is key so prep well! They have the qts in stock of the turquoise no aerosol it will be a bit for those.

No such thing as optional chrome valve covers on a B-body BB. '64 Street Wedge, '67 440, and BB A-bodies only.
Without a Broadcast Sheet or Monroney ("window sticker"), if the car is original & undisturbed, it shouldn't be too hard to see how it was optioned & equipped.
But a lot of things can happen to a car in 54 years.

Be very careful with that Paul Herd book - there's good info in it, but numerous errors and photos of inaccurate cars.

I use Dave Wise books, for the most part they are pretty good..

Auto Transport Service
Back