• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Vin. 1969 GTX

Gramp5

Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
:angry9:Found pad on passinger side of motor above oil pan , has # 8A191139 Stamped on it,what do they mean?

last few numbers should be same as last few on vin/title...if not...not original motor

the last few should also match rad support....diver's side of middle

last few numbers should be same as last few on vin/title...if not...not original motor

the last few should also match rad support....diver's side of middle

and it should match the stamping on the trunk gutter, driver side, under the weather stripping, sometimes you can read them from underneath.

:angry9:Found pad on passinger side of motor above oil pan , has # 8A191139 Stamped on it,what do they mean?

69 should have the entire VIN stamped on the side of the block, passenger side panrail. The fact that you only have a partial will mostly mean it is not a numbers matching block (albeit not ALL 69 blocks were stamped with a full VIN).

Sequence Number: 191139

8A: 1968, built at Lynch Road Plant, BUT..... since 1968 and below blocks were not supposed to have any stampings on them at all in that area, I would question the stamping's legitimacy.

In all honesty, I bet it is a 1978 block.

What is the casting number located on the side of the block?

I think 68 was the first year for the VIN's on the block. The side of the block should also be dated late 67 or 68 if it is a 68 block. It would be dated late 68 or 69 if it is a 69 block.

If it is a 78 motor there should be a few clues if the motor is original. The dates stamped on the side of the block will be either late 77 or 78. It will most likely be a cast crank motor if a 78 with low compression and low horse power. It will also have 452 heads instead of 906 heads and the heads will also be dated 78 as well.

I think 68 was the first year for the VIN's on the block. The side of the block should also be dated late 67 or 68 if it is a 68 block. It would be dated late 68 or 69 if it is a 69 block.

If it is a 78 motor there should be a few clues if the motor is original. The dates stamped on the side of the block will be either late 77 or 78. It will most likely be a cast crank motor if a 78 with low compression and low horse power. It will also have 452 heads instead of 906 heads and the heads will also be dated 78 as well.

1969 was the first year for all engine blocks to have the stampings (full or partial serial numbers). From the beginning of 1969 through the mid-year, all 69 blocks had a full VIN stamped on them, after the mid-year it went to a partial.

1968 HP's had the partial serial number stamping (and these the stamping was on the top rear of the engine next to the oil sending unit), but all non-hp 68 blocks had nothing stamped on them.

Gramp5, is your block an HP block?

Racedodge is on it. I have never seen a 1968 block with the VIN stamped above the pan rail so to suggest it's a 78 block is a good call. Check the pad by the distributor. A 68 or 69 engine will have the letter D or E followed by 440. A 78 block will have something like 8T440. Casting date on the block is foolproof.

1968 HP's had the partial serial number stamping (and these the stamping was on the top rear of the engine next to the oil sending unit), but all non-hp 68 blocks had nothing stamped on them.

I see this theory posted on several boards but have heard no logical explaination as to why HPs would get stamped and non HPs wouldn't. It doesn't make any sense for several reasons to only stamp some blocks an not all.

Different plants did stamp VINs at different times. This may be where some of the confusion on the HP/Non-HP blocks comes in. I'm surmising people have seen a non-HP block from a plant that didn't stamp VINs and compared it to an HP block from a plant that did and drew an erroneous conclusion that non-HP blocks weren't stamped.

To my knowledge no actual research as been posted on 68 VINs and block stamping.

I had a 383 that came out of a `68 Coronet 500, so it was a non HP(no stamp on pad by distributer) and it DID have the VIN stamped on the top of the block by the oil pressure sending unit. Meeps is right the casting date is big, bold and foolproof and will be located near the top of the block adjacent to the engine mount ears. There also is a 13 digit serial # found on the bottom of the block on the passenger side rear stamped on the machined oil pan flange surface. This # tells what plant, dispacement, four digit date code and what # engine built that day.

I have a 68 GTX and it has a 78 motor in it. Has all the stamping you are talking about plus it has 452 heads. Runs good, just could use a little more HP.

Dave F

So much for matching # car, found # under exhaust manifold on passinger side, 10 1977 4006630 440-10 Gramp5

Auto Transport Service
Back