• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

enough is enough!!! Motor mounts!

vintagetin

Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
Okay, I bought a kit from a company I can't recall that cam with the brackets and motor mounts to swap a poly A engine to an LA engine, assuming it would come with quality motor mounts. Though they looked and felt just like the cheap crap ones that come from all the local parts stores I figured I't give them a try......12 months later they are both completely destroyed as I manage to do to EVERY set of motor mounts I've ever had in any mopar. So, being tired of a sticking throttle (because the engine shifts around so much) and being sick of having to pull the header down everytime to change them and having to top the antifreeze:banghead:!.... I'm looking for a set that is held together with METAL!
Can anybody suggest anything. They must make a set that rest on rubber, but have a metal pin, or has a metal bracket welded around the rubber or something! So I don't have to drill holes, counter sink them, and put bolts through them myself.

Funny you mention these guys. This is the company I got my conversion kit from! But I didn't try the poly loc mounts, I'm sure they'll keep the engine on the frame!

I used a set of the poly locks and the torq strap. No motor movement but still street friendly.

I destroy stockers in a matter of hours. I switched to the poly lock mounts. Not as vibration free as stockers but no where near the vibration of solid mounts. Had the poly locks better than a year now and still in one piece.

A couple of cheap fixes from the old days is to plate the mounts top and bottom and run a bolt through both to sandwich the rubber. Or simply put a chain on the side that torques up to keep it in place when you on the gas.

You don't want to run soild metal mounts or you will feel all of the vibration of the engine through the entire car.

We've done the chain thing in the past but then my buddy had he make him some mounts out or a set of old ones by welding plates on the sides and connecting the top and bottom plates together, man I didn't like it because it made them solid but he was happy. I had made some others that had a plate traveling up the sides and bent over on top to catch the top plate when torque moved the motor up. This worked well and kept the mounts from ripping but this is same design as other manufactures have out there now.

Schumaker interlocking mounts. No vibrations or breaks.

I've had good luck with the Schuemaker poly locs also.

Just figured I'd chime in and let everyone know that I went with the poly mounts. They are strong as hell. I haven't been able to tear them up and the engine doesn't budge.

They come with bigger bolts...which is good, but I had trouble lining them up since the threads were soo fat they barely fit through frame hole. None the less, with some prying with a large pry bar I was able to tap the troubled one through with a rubber mallet.

I do have one complaint: though I expected this would be the case, and I'm still happy with the choice for now....
The thing that I really don't like about them, is that they vibrate like a bitch when the engine is under a certain rpm, and heavy torque is being applied at lower rpms. There are certain times as well when the engine resonates through the whole car and makes all its dirt old odds and ends shake and rattle. All well...I'm just thankful I didn't get the cheaper, solid motor mounts because they probably would have been TERRIBLE!!!

They'll work until I can fab up, or find a better solution that is both spongy soft, and super durable. Until then, Chrysler mounts will always just have to suck a bit.

Auto Transport Service
Back