• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever cross thread an oil filter

Who manufactures Wix oil filters?
WIX Filters was founded in an old cotton mill in Gastonia by Jack Wicks and his business partner, Paul Crenshaw, who needed an inexhaustible supply of pure white cotton thread waste for the filtering media of their new company. At the time, Gastonia and Gaston County produced more combed cotton yarn than anywhere else in the world.
Gastonia is the largest city in and county seat of Gaston County, North Carolina, United States. It is the second-largest satellite city of the Charlotte area, behind Concord. The population was 71,741 at the 2010 Census. In 2019, the population had increased to 77,273. Gastonia is the 13th most populous city in North Carolina. It is part of the Charlotte metropolitan area, officially designate…

DID I SAY WHAT AN F FING MESS !!!

5 more quarts of synthetic oil - Oil dry - Now cleaning the concrete - Her car

Thanx for listening , Scott
not cheap at synthetic oil prices too ($7 - $15 a qt.)

good to hear it didn't screw up something on the car

I could imagine the freaken' mess

I did that well sort of, I messed up the seal
or had a defective seal instead
on my 84 Toyota 2.2 SR5 4x4 when I was living in Alaska
it wasn't pretty, I fired it up to check for leaks
& 1/2 or more of was dumped, in the time it took me
to walk from the cab to kneel down & look, to notice...

I start it as soon as I have oil pressure I shutoff look for leaks then restart and look again

The oil filter on the 3.6l. V-6 on my 2015 Durango drops in from the top as well. Likely one of messiest to change is the filter on our revered big blocks. The filter fights for space with the water pump intake hose. If the car has power steering, it is hard to thread the old filter out. Then, there's the mess to clean up on the front crossmember after the old filter has slobbered all over it.

Make an oil pan to direct it.
20180307_104648.jpg

Made by Mann+Hummel.
Not good , after some more research on the subject , especially over at Bobistheoilguy

I opened up the box on the other brand new WIX 57356 that I had in the cabinet at home garage

Even worse

Local Bumper to Bumper is where I buy all my WIX Filters from , work and home
Going to stop by on my way back to work after 4 hours of sleep

Last edited:
Who manufactures Wix oil filters?
WIX Filters was founded in an old cotton mill in Gastonia by Jack Wicks and his business partner, Paul Crenshaw, who needed an inexhaustible supply of pure white cotton thread waste for the filtering media of their new company. At the time, Gastonia and Gaston County produced more combed cotton yarn than anywhere else in the world.
Gastonia is the largest city in and county seat of Gaston County, North Carolina, United States. It is the second-largest satellite city of the Charlotte area, behind Concord. The population was 71,741 at the 2010 Census. In 2019, the population had increased to 77,273. Gastonia is the 13th most populous city in North Carolina. It is part of the Charlotte metropolitan area, officially designate…
Ah, for the good old days....

Has the quality of Wix Oil Filters , especially over the past year , did something change ?

I still use them and think they are good or better than most. I also run the majority of mopar filters on my personal stuff , work all we use is Napa gold...

I hope not!
I had a bad Wix filter around 10 years ago. I installed it on my 383 Challenger and it was dumping oil after I fired up the engine.
The gasket was split. When I posted about it on moparts the brain trust there said I overtightened it and it was my fault. No I didn’t, the seal was defective.
I had a Fram filter years ago before I knew better than to use them, where the threads failed as I installed it. I then installed another and off I went.
Only problems I’ve had with filters in 40 years of doing oil changes.

Cut a piece of tin can to fit under the BB filter and leave a lip on the rear so the oil flows toward the front.
Mike

I use a coolant jug, on the side panel with the cap, at the bottom of the jug cut across leaving about 3/4" of the bottom & taper towards the threaded fill point... You wind up with a tray about 3" wide & 10" long, it should have raised lips on three sides, the front has about a 1" wide curved area which was part of the threads... First I loosen the filter some but not to the point it starts losing oil, then I slip the tray in from the side so it cradles under & behind the filter, the threaded area should wind up about 2" ahead of the K member... loosen the filter some more & let it drain....

If you want it 100% clean slip a plastic bag over the filter before unscrewing it the last little bit.. Then as it pops free roll the threaded end upward & drop it fully into the bag... Then drop it out & dispose of it properly...

I went to set this Wix into the cover cap like the previous ten times before , the plastic hole split inside the filter and then six of the plastic tabs broke off - It literally just pops over a spring loaded barrel inside the cover

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-2017-jeep-renegade?q=engine+oil+filter&pos=2

I am beginning to think I am losing my oil changing mind capabilities

And of course I didn’t have an extra

I have never had an issue with Wix filters until this past year

Last edited:
pumped it all into the compartment below the engine.

We call that the bilge.... It's where we keep things like a bilge pump.... And it's where in my Navy days we use to make bilge wine..... It goes well with bilge cheese... (Wisconsin humor)....

Auto Transport Service
Back